Author Topic: Too late to take rose cuttings?  (Read 1678 times)

Lishka

• Acre
Too late to take rose cuttings?
« on: September 12, 2011, 21:42:55 »
I took some cuttings of a rather nice climbing rose I have after its first flowering, which have (mostly) taken. Tomorrow I need to cut back all the new growth again to keep the shape around the obelisk. Any chance of these cuttings striking or should I be content with the ones I have and bin these? Oh, and if you rose growers tell me to give it a go, will they still be OK outside in a sheltered spot during the winter?

Many thanks.

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Too late to take rose cuttings?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 21:57:59 »
It would be shame to waste a good opportunity..and even if I'm little doubtful with doing cuttings this time of the year..you might still get lucky.
But I would not keep the cuttings outside..they will need all the help they can get and keeping them in coldframe or greenhouse will extend the 'rooting' season for bit longer.
As long as the cuttings has chance to form callus on cut surface before winter they will then happily overwinter even in cold GH. When the spring comes the new roots should appear..and once you see them through bottom of the pot..separate them and pot on.
Only thing to loose is bit of compost, green material and few minutes of you time.. ;)

Lishka

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 22:04:08 »
Thanks for that and you're right of course. Nothing to lose but a few minutes so I'll give it a go tomorrow.

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 22:19:29 »
it depends on the rose i suppose, but i've  found roses root quite easily in water in a jam jar on the windowsill

John85

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 12:27:58 »
Indeed it depends on the variety.Some are nearly as easy as willows and some are very difficult to root even with hormones.
Give it a try in a sheltered spot and if necessary improve the soil with sharp sand and compost

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal