Author Topic: Wind  (Read 2724 times)

betula

• Hectare
Wind
« on: September 12, 2011, 10:00:17 »
really picking up now,gusting down the chimneys and little westie dog very unsettled with it. :(

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: Wind
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 10:30:54 »
We have a wad of newspaper stuffed up the chimney and another held in by the guard.

Trees in the garden opposite look as if they are going to take off.  But surprisingly warm outside.  I am glad I do not have to drive anywhere today.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 11:26:50 by Digeroo »

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 11:09:55 »
I stuff old cushions up there in the Winter LOL

Been out fo a short walk with the dogs and quite dramatic out there,good thing is found some massive conkers.....only found tiddlers so far.....the wind has made them fall.

Also hard to r each Apples have fell down from the tree in my small cathedral garden.............only trouble is the garden is on the main road and the apples were along the pavement,felt a twit picking them up but then who cares LOL ;D

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 13:48:44 »
All my 3 m high sun flowers are now only one metre high and more or less horizontal and one of my little apple trees is lurking very badly.  It is very windy down at lottie at the best of times, I hate to think of what is going on there.

My plot is on the north east corner of the site so everything collects there.  I will have been collecting the lids of compost bins and water butts.

Growing4twins

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 14:01:24 »
Im nervously watching my sunflowers & plastic green house & wondering if they will last the day :/

When i went to pick up the twins from school a grand-mother of 1 of the other children had a really nasty fall due to the wind.  She was opening the main gate to secure it so it didnt keep bashing the fence, went it was about 3 quarters of the way open a huge gust of wind blew & sent her & the gate flying.  Thankfully she was alright just a bit shaken up, i made sure she sat still & got her breath before going to pick up her grandson.  I was shocked as i didnt think the wind would catch a railing gate with such force.
Is loving how the twins are really getting into planting seeds this year!  two for the price of one!! :D http://i46.tinypic.com/zy7ww8.jpg[/img]

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 16:42:06 »
Chaos in south Lincoln, tree down all the way over the B1188, one of the main drags inbound, traffic gridlocked, im off to get some free firewood................
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 22:27:00 »
Been very windy here all day but seems to have calmed down a bit now
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 22:29:20 »
Nice to see you posting Marg

bazzysbarn

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 00:45:40 »
I had a nasty shock while i was hanging washing out. A large branch of a silver birch at the end of my garden came crashing down! Luckly it landed on my hedge and not me. Its in the cementry behind my garden so i got in touch with the council.
Within an hour somebody came round to see about and will get the workmen round tomorrow. Couldnt believe it, it happened so quick, i hate the wind!

redcoat

• Quarter Acre
  • Newcastle upon Tyne
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 07:33:51 »
All my apples are on the lawn; I suppose that saved me picking them.

Oh and the only other thing I can see that has moved over night is one of two plastic cloches.  Fortunately it has only blown to the other end of my garden and not over the fence.

How many of you will be knocking on neighbour's doors today?

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 08:37:22 »
We've got plant pots are all over the lottie.. ::)..chicken pen roof (corrugated plastic) is finally given up. It was ready for new one anyway..but now its properly ripped. Last night it was banging so much I had to go and brick it down.
Another job for the looong list... ::)

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2011, 09:04:05 »
our washing twirly thing snapped at the base and keeled over with a full load of washing on it-yes, I know I should have realised how windy it was going to be!  Am off to the lottie this morning to see if the fence is still up!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2011, 11:33:19 »
So much fruit in my orchard, the trees were overladen. The winds which were not so bad as some of you got has broken quite a few branches. So a big box outside the gate saying help yourselves and the kilner jars are being sterilised for the pears to be pickled in sweetened red wine. For the first time since planting the russet has come good, they are still on the tree as they really cling on, lets hope they keep at it until they are ready to pick in another 4 to 6 weeks.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2011, 13:09:30 »
I was lucky yesterday. The neighbours drive runs along side of mine. Asked Grandson to help with putting the car away, neighbours car was near my garage doors. I was holding one of the doors ready to secure it and a gush of wind slammed me back, luckily it was only my body that hit neighbours car and not the metal door!!!

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2011, 08:20:14 »
Shows how dangeous wind can be.

Dreading going up the lottie,I know my runner beans will most likely be in the canal :(

When I went up Sunday someones fruit cage had collapsed.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal