Author Topic: Finally got some Waltham butternuts growing!  (Read 2155 times)

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
Finally got some Waltham butternuts growing!
« on: September 16, 2011, 22:17:53 »
Hi everyone Ive had a very bad year for butternuts, the plants just did not like the wierd weather at all.
Luckily I also grew some other varieties of winter squash for the first time this year & they have done really well (Thelma Saunders & Boston)......I was amazed to see 3 fruit starting to grow on the only surviving butternut plant I have left. Im so glad I left it in the ground now....I have been tempted to dig it up so many times as it just didnt seem to be doing anything at all. I know it is very late but Im hoping a few more days of sunshine will encourage at least one of the butternuts to grow big enough to take home to ripen on a windowsill, I usually have at least 20 to see me through the winter so if I get one this year it will be a real delicacy ;D x jane

pumkinlover

Re: Finally got some Waltham butternuts growing!
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 22:21:04 »
I found one today,plant only started growing a couple of weeks ago ;)

Mine was called Cobnut.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 02:25:50 »
I'm not sure where you are Crystalmoon but your plants will have to go some to ripen the fruit before the first frosts.

My BNS have been interesting too this year.  ::) I have about 3 fruits compared to about 33 last year. Oh well... at least, as you say, they will be savoured this year.  ;)

pansy potter

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 07:30:25 »
We always grow Waltham Butternut because it always produces for us. This year they started fruiting 2 weeks ago(now in the compost) wheras the Harrier have proved to be amazing and they don't seem to run as much.
Will grow them again next year
Have also grown a squash named HoneyBear. Its a small green acorn shaped green.Have yet to taste it.
God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 08:33:51 »
I'll probably make some people rather jealous . . . . . . but this year I have only grown Waltham Butternut, from various sources (some from Galina - thank you!).  I had difficulty in getting them germinated in the spring, but ended up with 12 healthy plants, growing on our huge manure heap (we have a farm next door who give us manure from their indoor  wintering cows).  From these 12 plants we now have 66 fruit, big ones, and most of them completely ripe now! The extra warmth we have down here in the Pyrenees seems to make all the difference.
Peanuts

pansy potter

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 09:27:11 »
Lets all move shall we.  ;D

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 14:14:00 »
I'll probably make some people rather jealous . . . . . . but this year I have only grown Waltham Butternut, from various sources (some from Galina - thank you!).  I had difficulty in getting them germinated in the spring, but ended up with 12 healthy plants, growing on our huge manure heap (we have a farm next door who give us manure from their indoor  wintering cows).  From these 12 plants we now have 66 fruit, big ones, and most of them completely ripe now! The extra warmth we have down here in the Pyrenees seems to make all the difference.
Peanuts

Heck of a long way to go to grow BNS. From 6 plants last year I had around 30 pretty big fruit. The south of England takes some beating most summers IMHO.  ;)

pansy potter

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 15:07:35 »
These are the Harrier and the Honey Bear we brought home today just a wipe with a dilute bleach solution and on the spare room windowsill to overwinter.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 20:07:44 »
Looks terrific Pansy Potter! Nice crop.

Interesting idea wiping with bleach solution. I've never thought of doing that - I just make sure mine are dry by putting them in the porch. Eventually they go into a large dark cupboard until they are needed.

I wonder if Miltons fluid would do the same job?

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2011, 21:52:50 »
Pansy - great harvest you have there. Ive never thought of using bleach etc on my squash either. I usually just put them on windowsills in every room until really dry & skin very hard. Then I store on a bookcase in a spare room.

Aden - does storing them in a dark cupboard help them stay fresh?

Peanuts - I am very jealous indeed!

Pumpkinlover - oh well me & you will just have to really savour our solitary butternuts  ::)
x jane

PeterVV

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2011, 22:12:51 »
I have had a terrible year for my butternuts, I have two plants , and both only have 1 squash on each!!!have only had 2 male flowers on either! what a strange year...

pansy potter

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2011, 06:23:47 »
I must admit I didn't think up the weak bleach solution myself. It was posted on here some years ago whilst I was lurking. ;D
Its probably to stop any spores or other developing on the skin and tunneling into the squash.

pumkinlover

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2011, 08:44:19 »
I've not heard of that either but it seems worth a try with the bleach sol, MIlton is just weak bleach anyway I thought.
I guess you could  use wine making cleanser/ steriliser solution also or campden tablets.

But for mine and Crystalmoons solitary butternuts no such precautions are necessary, they'll be used too quickly ;D

Having seen the plant sit and sulk for 5 months though I'm still a happy bunny!

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2011, 16:21:30 »
I must remember to stick ,y very few butternut squash on bricks to keep them off the increasingly damp ground. Normally I don't bother but with so few I'd hate to lose a single one this year.

When they are harvested (all being well) I think we'll have to celebrate with a special meal as there are so few of them to go round.

Better some than none though.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2011, 19:22:28 »
We have 1 huge one on one plant and about 8 small ones on the other, luckily they are under cover, we may get them to ripen yet  ;D
We have, however, lots of small 'hooligan squash, lovely for an individual serving   :)

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2011, 21:06:32 »
Off to the plot I went this afternoon... remembering I wanted to stick something under the BNS and found......

Who has ever heard of BNS splitting down the middle  :o Oh well.. that saves me worrying about the chance of rot.  ::)

Try again next year.  :(

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2011, 22:05:08 »
How many BNS do people usually get from one plant?  From 10 plants, I have 4 BNS, 1 on each of the 4 harrier plants in the greenhouse.  The outdoor plants have nothing but foilage so will be in the compost bin in 2 weeks.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Mark S

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2011, 22:56:04 »
I have some crooknecks growing, but up until yesterday, I was ready to uproot and throw it on the compost heap. It was taking too much room up, and had hundreds of male flowers on. Then miraculously, in the space of about 3 days, I now have 8 fruits!

Mind you, I wont get excited, as they are no bigger than my little finger nail!!!

pansy potter

• Half Acre
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2011, 06:37:48 »
Our Harrier had 4 squash on every plant and they fruited really early.

TheEssexYorkshireman

• Half Acre
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2011, 13:08:23 »
Disastrous! is the word I'd use this year. I have 4 plants and absolutely no fruits. My results have been pretty much yes & no over the past few years so I might just give them up as a bad job, shame though as I adore Butternuts ....

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal