Author Topic: Tomato growing competition for 2012..biggest fruit, just for fun  (Read 78353 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: Tomato growing competition for 2012..biggest fruit, just for fun
« Reply #280 on: August 08, 2012, 18:00:49 »
 Galina,the blowhole did not see it, he is in holiday in Italy but he will see the picture you can be sure.

Jay . the taste was good, not brilliant but good, with all the fuss with the camera etc it was overripe before we had the chance to taste it though.

I was surprised that it was seedless. I know that often first fruits are with some varieties but I wasn't expecting this one to be, however there are of course more fruit on the plant.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #281 on: August 10, 2012, 17:55:01 »
He got knocked off and he was only 9 ozs  ::)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #282 on: August 10, 2012, 18:02:04 »
Manica whgat a shame, such a lovely fruit. I rather fancy some of those and have been researching on the net what they might be.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #283 on: August 10, 2012, 19:04:45 »
I'll be saving some seed if you'd like some  :)
Poor Ray, he was so upset when he knocked it. Still, I've plenty more on there, not as big yet, and my oxhearts are shaping up nicely  ;D

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #284 on: August 10, 2012, 22:10:09 »
I'll be saving some seed if you'd like some  :)
Poor Ray, he was so upset when he knocked it. Still, I've plenty more on there, not as big yet, and my oxhearts are shaping up nicely  ;D
;)
So! My mind-control machine is working! 8) Poor Ray you say? He's a good subject says I.
Unfortunately, I didn't finish it in time to make Jeannine knock hers off, but I did manage to get her to forget where the vital cable was.
It'll take a tin-foil hat to defeat this machine.  :P I'll win yet... Heeheehee..
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #285 on: August 10, 2012, 22:13:34 »
Lol  ;D ;D ;D
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #286 on: August 11, 2012, 09:38:38 »
Ha ha

My big hope a burpees delicious has started to rot at the top so it will be back to square one in a few days drat!

x sunloving

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #287 on: August 11, 2012, 10:06:46 »
o, NigelB..you are the dastardly mind behind Ray's clumsy hand . I'd better keep him away from the others  ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #288 on: August 11, 2012, 18:10:32 »
Nigel, ha ha, don't forget I habe a greenhouse full of huge varieties of tomatoes, this was just the first ine, I have Big Zah, Behomoth and several others to come yet...

Manics, I woukld love to get a few of those seeds, I am fairly sure what they might be now but I would like to grow them next to the one I think it may be to see differences as many old tomatoes adapt themselves to local areas and it would be an interesting experiement.  Thank you

XX Jeannine

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #289 on: August 11, 2012, 19:02:41 »
The one and only Zak thats left has 3 tommies on it Jeannine,providing Mr Blight dont sneak in and destroy my growing plans would you nip off 2 and just leave 1 to grow on,they are only about 5 oz each so nuffin to fear from me yet....?

Gazza

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #290 on: August 12, 2012, 12:45:59 »
Gazza, no  I wouldn't unless you have other tomatoes. If you have lots of others then it may be beneficial to restrict the vine to just one. My big Zac truthfully has done zilch. Today I picked an 18 oz Behemoth an 18 oz Belmont and a 19 oz Reif's Red Heart but my Big Zacs were a waste of space. We actually pulled all our tomatoes today ripe or otherwise as the temp in my greenhouse was 120  and that was with 2 roof vents and  a half door open. The plants were just drying out  and turning to straw so we pulled the plug and harvested them, no blight but useless nevertheless. I didn't even bother seperating the Big Zacs from the rest of the basket full, they are going into chutney probably.

It is interesting to note that it was only the first fruit on all 4 I have picked from different varieties that proved to  "big ones"

Today I just wanted to empty the greenhouse and draw the curtain on this years tomato growing.

So I am out, my Rachel Sebastian's Bull Bag is my biggest.

Good luck with your Big Zac, there is still lots of time if the weather remains stable for you.

XX Jeannine

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #291 on: August 12, 2012, 15:14:39 »
My Jeannines lucky dip  are still the biggest fruits by a long chalk, but I have a cluster of three, thinking of culling the two smallest? As I don't have many other contenders not sure what is wisest thing to do?!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 15:16:59 by Deb P »
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #292 on: August 12, 2012, 16:10:28 »
I was hoping to sneak in but no chance now-blight everywhere.

Hell4leather2

« Reply #293 on: August 12, 2012, 17:22:26 »
I was hoping to sneak in but no chance now-blight everywhere.
I know the feeling i've just got back from the plot had to pull up all the tom's ( it's a bad year ) still next year i'll grow the biggest ever tom ever lol

sunloving

• Hectare
« Reply #294 on: August 18, 2012, 09:57:52 »
Morning all
Well what mixed bag we are all having this year trying to coax these babys into actually growing to ripe! This is my first attempt with a rotting burpees delicious that looks like a perfect bottom. Its exactly a pound.

Nowhere nears Jeannines first entry though. Still have a few green ones still alive so onwards and upwards .
x sunloving
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 09:59:27 by sunloving »

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #295 on: August 18, 2012, 19:15:03 »
Oh a smasher there, well done.

Come on UK,don't use mine as a benchmark, don't forget my growing conditions are a bit different to yours.

By the way where is Plainleaf, he was going to join in and I havenm't seen his name recently. He should be able to beat me easily as he has grown biggies fort a long time and knows all the tricks.

XX Jeannine

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #296 on: August 22, 2012, 15:43:31 »
This is the best I have done, a Novikova grown from seed kindly sent to me by an A4Aer.

[attachment=1]

[attachment=2]

It weighs 455g or 1lb

Sunloving, yours is a very exotic shape!
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #297 on: August 23, 2012, 00:44:52 »
Thats a great looking tomato, mine was ugly andnot very nice, that one looks very delice.

Well done

XX Jeannine

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #298 on: August 23, 2012, 04:54:31 »
Thats a great looking tomato, mine was ugly andnot very nice, that one looks very delice.

Well done

XX Jeannine

Thank you Jeannine, can't wait to taste it now!
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

sunloving

• Hectare
« Reply #299 on: August 23, 2012, 08:59:05 »
Yes it looks lovely, how funny that its a pound to.
I love the distinctive shape.
x sunloving

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal