Author Topic: Tomato growing competition for 2012..biggest fruit, just for fun  (Read 78222 times)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
Re: Tomato growing competition for 2012..biggest fruit, just for fun
« Reply #260 on: July 22, 2012, 17:20:05 »
Very interesting............I've just finished my usual Sunday tomato feed, tie-in and prune session, and have been examining which tomatoes have fruit, and one stands out.......it is from Jeannine's heritage 'lucky dip' seed swap parcel, so I hve no idea what it is!!!! ;D

I grew them last year and have described it as 'slightly ribbed big red salad type', and this years plants were grown from the seed I saved from last years crop. All my other know biggie types such as Delicious have hardly set fruit yet.... ::) :-\
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #261 on: July 22, 2012, 18:10:46 »
Oh Jeannine cant believe your idiot tom grower!
Anyone who builds a glasshouse house to live in by making such statements deserves a volley of giant tomatoes  breaking the glass.
You go for it! Kick his arse!

x sunloving

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #262 on: July 24, 2012, 11:03:44 »
I am gonna do just that. My Rachel Sebastians Ball Bag is still growing, I have never had a tomato anywhere near as big as this so am keeping my fingers crossed.. I don't want to beat anyone else. I started this for a bit of fun but  as I do have a slight weather advantage over you folks in the UK it is only him I want to beat.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #263 on: July 28, 2012, 15:54:08 »
Oh, oh. Fruit on the handbags and oxhearts  ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #264 on: August 01, 2012, 06:55:35 »
I had to pick my Rachel Sebastian Bull Bag today as it was fully ripe.

I have just weighed it. 24.6 ozs.

I will try to figure out how to do a photo but John always did that and he seems to have forgotten so don't hold your breath.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #265 on: August 01, 2012, 09:06:58 »
Looks fantastic Manics  ;D
Blimey Jeannine that's a sarnie or two  ;D
If you get stuck adding your pictures here but you can get them in an email to me, I'll add them in for you.

I'm well envious, fruit set here has been so poor with many toms due to the cold and relentlesly wet weather, I don't seem to have anything looking remotely big  :'(
Ah well perhaps after the sunshine last week  :-\
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

sunloving

• Hectare
« Reply #266 on: August 01, 2012, 10:29:30 »
Wow thats 697g , you've set the bar high!

Re photos, you take photo put it on computer, then upload it to photo bucket then copy the img link into your reply. Good luck.

I'm going to the gh to give mine a stern talking to.
x sunloving

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #267 on: August 01, 2012, 15:35:19 »
Well, I reckon my handbag is only 8 oz at the moment, not going to get near that weight  ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #268 on: August 02, 2012, 21:01:17 »
My tomato is still in the fridge hanging on...

We dug out the old camera the night before last, the one John always used to use. (if you all rememeber I bought him a new Olympus Pen but he couldn't figure it out so it is still in the box.)

Anyway, he had forgotten how to use the old (well oldish) digital Canon so I tried. No batteries in it of course so am buying them today. There was also a little square flat thing maybe something that takes the place of film that I managed to fit in the side..am I right?

I am useless with a camera as John was always the picture taker so I need to learn how. I will try it when I get back with the batteries.

I figure if I can get the picture on the camera before the tomato goes off we can figure the other bit later.

If I can figure out how  to load it onto the computer I am OK as I know how to then post it and I just payed my ten quid to Dan  last week, but I have never loaded from the camera to the computer.

This Alzeimers thing really gets into places one wouldn't even think of.

By the way,  I am not competing against anyone in the UK  , it would be very unfair as I have an advantage with the weather here. I just want to show the chauvenistic old guy here on our site  that women can grow tomatoes!!

XX Jeannine
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 21:08:44 by Jeannine »

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #269 on: August 02, 2012, 23:23:06 »
My tomato is still in the fridge hanging on...

We dug out the old camera the night before last, the one John always used to use. (if you all rememeber I bought him a new Olympus Pen but he couldn't figure it out so it is still in the box.)

Anyway, he had forgotten how to use the old (well oldish) digital Canon so I tried. No batteries in it of course so am buying them today. There was also a little square flat thing maybe something that takes the place of film that I managed to fit in the side..am I right?

I am useless with a camera as John was always the picture taker so I need to learn how. I will try it when I get back with the batteries.

I figure if I can get the picture on the camera before the tomato goes off we can figure the other bit later.

If I can figure out how  to load it onto the computer I am OK as I know how to then post it and I just payed my ten quid to Dan  last week, but I have never loaded from the camera to the computer.

This Alzeimers thing really gets into places one wouldn't even think of.

By the way,  I am not competing against anyone in the UK  , it would be very unfair as I have an advantage with the weather here. I just want to show the chauvenistic old guy here on our site  that women can grow tomatoes!!

XX Jeannine

Yes, that sounds right.  My digital camera has a cable with one USB end and a smaller connector.  The smaller connector fits into the side of the camera, the USB connector fits into the computer and when I switch the camera on when it is connected, the computer after a few seconds comes up with a screen asking me whether I want to download the pictures.  Seems pretty straightforward with our Fuji Finepix camera. 

I have managed to attach a few pictures that appeared in messages, took a bit of experimenting, but it worked without photobucket etc.  You'll figure it out.  We are really interested in seeing your biggie!

Manics, this looks great!  And they still have growing to do!  What do you feed them?

;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #270 on: August 03, 2012, 06:05:07 »
Galina, thank you. I have new batteries in a new charger half way done so hopefully I should get a picture tomorrow.

The cable I have found has a tiny connector at one end, similar to the one in my Kindle about 1/4 inch wide  but on the other end it has a split end with two leads coming off, each connector is about 1/2 inch wide. I have no idea why it has two ends but I guess you only need to use one.

I hope the camara is OK, the regular batteries I bought earlier today didn't seem to work, they were very cheap though and the only ones in a department store I was in. I put them in and the camera lit up but told me to change the batteries!!

Oh the pressure!!

I will have to learn how to use the new one I guess but  it won't be in time for the tomato.. LOL

Sometimes I feel really dumb :(

XX Jeannine

UPDATE. I tried the batteries half way through, it worked  and I got pictures, I am so chuffed with myself, it is showing as 24.3 so I guess it has a lost a tad in the fridge while waiting for me to educate myself, anyway I have three pictures, one on the scale showing the weight, a close up of the tomato and a close up of the weight.

Now I just have to figure out how to get it on the pooter but at least I have saved the picture for posterity.

This is the first picture I have taken in three decades so it may not be exactly lined up in the frame but it is there.

It was a mega bloom but if anyone wants seeds from it they are welcome.

XX Jeannine

« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 06:54:45 by Jeannine »

sunloving

• Hectare
« Reply #271 on: August 03, 2012, 08:48:29 »
Hi Jeannine
Of course you are competing! theres nothing in the rules about country.

Well done on the photos. The lead doesnt seem quite right as you would normally expect to have a usb end to connect with this is flat and about 1cm wide. There was  probably a second lead as the one you have sounds like its for the tv.

Some computers have a reader for the little disc card thing so check that and also some printers have a slot for them to. So have a rummage to see what you can find.
I use an external card reader it was about £6 and i just connect it to computer and put the card in and hey presto.
Good luck
You can get that whopper eaten now at last!
x sunloving
x sunloving

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #272 on: August 03, 2012, 09:59:44 »
Galina, they just get a weekly dose of comfrey and seeweed feed  :)
Jeannine, every time I download pics from my camera, I have to look at my written instructions (did them myself  ;D )
I lost my handbag toms last year , so glad I had given one to Tony and was able to get some seed from him

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #273 on: August 03, 2012, 17:10:55 »
Manics, your toms are looking smashing, well donem but have I missed something.What are handbag toms,

XX Jeannine

Hope you can read this, just out of bed bleary eyed and I can't find my reading glasses

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #274 on: August 03, 2012, 18:00:49 »
That's my nick name for them, Jeannine. Eric brought some seed back from South Africa a few years ago, supposedly oxhearts . This is what they turned out like

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #275 on: August 03, 2012, 19:08:04 »
Oh yes, I remember now, they look great, XX Jeannine

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #276 on: August 08, 2012, 06:47:01 »
OK with bated breath and all fingers crossed here I go trying to put on a photo after my first attempt at loading from the cameras to the pooter...

My big tomato Rachel Sebastian's Ball Bag  24.3 ounces

XX Jeannine
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 06:51:03 by Jeannine »

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #277 on: August 08, 2012, 06:57:57 »
Yes - you've cracked it  :) - congratulations on mastering the camera and computer.  And congratulations on a fine large tomato.  Looks very ripe and juicy and the shape is typical for a daisy type flower, like a couple or three tomatoes fused together.

Super pictures!  Thank you for showing us.   

Has the nasty man seen this and turned green with envy yet?  ;D

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #278 on: August 08, 2012, 07:58:08 »
What a monster beauty Jeannine, well done you  :)
How did it taste?
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

sunloving

• Hectare
« Reply #279 on: August 08, 2012, 09:27:07 »
Wow , well done, I'd wear it as a hat next time you see him :)
Onwards and upwards .
x sunloving

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal