Author Topic: Tomato growing competition for 2012..biggest fruit, just for fun  (Read 78220 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: Tomato growing competition for 2012..biggest fruit, just for fun
« Reply #220 on: June 23, 2012, 21:13:58 »
Wow, you have got it glazed,,do we get to see the picture or is it a secret.

My toms are not even close. I have flowers but very little fruit and what there is is not on the bigger varieties.. well I do have one..it is from  a tomato I bought last year( I posted pictures) it was the biggest tomato I had ever seen so I kept the seeds. No idea wat it is, I am certain it would have been a hybrid as  I bought it from an Oriental farm sale but it was huge and it is growing big fruit..howver the other three plants from the same tomato are growing differently which I guess confirms it.

We shall see what we shall see ;D ;D

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #221 on: June 23, 2012, 22:21:02 »
I have fruit on the marmande and St pierre but none on the competition ones. Plus loads on the galina cherries. Everything is slow this year  :)

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #222 on: June 25, 2012, 12:59:37 »
Mine are slow too - only just begining to flower, and not sure which is which after teenage daughter thought it would be funny to swap the labels around ::)

Debs

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #223 on: June 25, 2012, 13:13:43 »
Mine are slow too - only just begining to flower, and not sure which is which after teenage daughter thought it would be funny to swap the labels around ::)
Debs

Ohh...sounds like some teenage daugter needs a little 'swap' lesson..how about having 'fun' and swapping places of her clothes from where she usually keeps them... :-X ;D..do you think it would work?

No wonder I don't have any 'kids'..I would make awful mother.. ;D ;D

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #224 on: June 25, 2012, 13:47:32 »
I have flowers on many of them, but I couldn't get down yesterday to check fruit signs. They are all about 70cm high now so should be some activity soon...if it ever stops raining!!

I feel there is some inequality here though - I have no GH so mine are all outdoors!  Surely an unequal battle???   ;D

I saved seed from a couple of beefsteaks last year, including an orange one and a green one, both of unknown variety, but I noticed that the plants of those are particularly vigourous and the flowers are very fancy, quite large! Maybe they will give some good fruit (if the sun ever shows itself).
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #225 on: June 25, 2012, 19:34:16 »
Some of mine are outdoors too and I live in the PNW... you have a big advatage over ,e ;D ;D

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #226 on: June 27, 2012, 07:29:05 »
Well the first glaze was a disaster so i've made a second one and sent it for fireing last night. Good job i've got to sept? to make the thing.

x Sunloving

pumkinlover

« Reply #227 on: June 27, 2012, 08:29:31 »
Admitedly the glaze ran a bit, but otherwise that is fantastic Sunloving :D

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #228 on: June 27, 2012, 09:31:43 »
Unique, i think it's brilliant, can't say the same about my tomatoes, though  ;D

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #229 on: June 27, 2012, 13:02:47 »
Brandywine at last!!!

dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #230 on: June 27, 2012, 13:10:10 »
Oh...Sunloving..that is perfect! I must get my watering can out now and get those toms going... ;) Hmm..and perharps some midnight session of witchcraft would not hurt neither...desperate measures.. ::) ;D

That pot would look just a job on my desk... ;) ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #231 on: June 27, 2012, 19:46:49 »
I think the pot is perfect just as it is, we know what it looks like now so you can't make anither one,,that is THE one!

Try your words on the greenware with underglaze next time, then fire, then glaze and refire, it won't run.

I still think this is oor winners cup though.

Who agrees..

Goodlife, I read somewhere that if you dance around your tomatoes covered in molasses at midnight while your wellies are full of manure the garden fairies like it and blesss you with a great harvest.

XX Jeannine

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #232 on: June 27, 2012, 20:09:53 »
Code: [Select]
Who agrees.. ME! ;D

Code: [Select]
Goodlife, I read somewhere that if you dance around your tomatoes covered in molasses at midnight while your wellies are full of manure the garden fairies like it and blesss you with a great harvest.
 That's what I normally do..though can't do 'around' tomatoes..they are too close to glass. Fairies..get ready to be surprised.. ;) ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #233 on: June 27, 2012, 20:35:07 »
Ok, if you can't get round them you have to jump over them, wearing suitable  attire of course which is nothing.

Whipped cream  rubbed in your hair also helps and you are allowed to use this option if you can't jump very high.

I really shouldn't be sharing all my tricks with you but I am nice.. I am keeping back the one about the green jelly and prune puree.. ;)

I could be bribed though..maybe

XX Jeannine

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #234 on: June 28, 2012, 08:08:38 »
Ha ha , so this is how to grow the mega toms dancing with dessert items , must give it a try. Greenhouse is a bit steamed up today as its so wet and muggy, perfect blight weather ahead this week.

As for the trophy, you big bunch of liars it was truely awful, so im keeping it in the garden with something that grows a lot inside it to hide the drippy glaze.
I already made its replace ment and it went in the kiln on tuesday not sure what it looks like now but this is the two together after id glazed the second one so fingers crossed!

Jeannine - yes thats just what teacher said so its underglazed then wax resist before dipping. Its just that the stoneware fireing is so hot that who knows how it will come out! x sunloving

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #235 on: June 28, 2012, 08:13:36 »
Those look very tidy...but the first one is best..HONEST!. 'Dribling' glaze is like tears running down of those who didn't make it... ;D

Are they 'solid' pots or plant pots with hole in it?

Oh, I'm 'itching' to learn pot making now.

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #236 on: June 28, 2012, 09:33:45 »
We all luv a disaster cos we dont really know what appeal it would have to the untrained eye(me) so im with all the other liars....I mean judges ... :P.....and prefer your dribbly lettered  one as it would look great adorning my plot, cos as we speak Jeannines 1 remaining "Big Zac" seedling of 8 that she kindly sent me has thrived and is all of 15 ins tall now.....whooooopeeee.... and has ""I wanna grow winning tommies" all over it.....bless  !!!!!!!!!!!

Gazza

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #237 on: June 28, 2012, 11:14:47 »
Disaster for me as my big toms in the poly have done all sorts of odd things this year and my outdoors are looking blighted in places already...  sad face!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #238 on: June 28, 2012, 15:53:00 »
Someone sent me the seeds of this, not sure of the variety but the flowers are huge!

[attachment=1]
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #239 on: June 28, 2012, 19:08:13 »
Ok, if you can't get round them you have to jump over them, wearing suitable  attire of course which is nothing.

Whipped cream  rubbed in your hair also helps and you are allowed to use this option if you can't jump very high.

I really shouldn't be sharing all my tricks with you but I am nice.. I am keeping back the one about the green jelly and prune puree.. ;)

I could be bribed though..maybe

XX Jeannine

;D ;D ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal