Author Topic: Tomato growing competition for 2012..biggest fruit, just for fun  (Read 78209 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: Tomato growing competition for 2012..biggest fruit, just for fun
« Reply #160 on: March 07, 2012, 19:42:58 »
Hi Nigel, well what a small world. It is so long ago 1977 I think when I sat having coffee with her and truly can't remember her name, the coffee house was at the home of a lady whose husband was a retired cop but can't remember her name either.

Funny you should mention the bikes.

When I was young I raced a bike and drove one as transport too.  Grasstrack, I raced as the passenger,sometimes horizontal going round corners. Trying to imagine switching from one side to the other now at high speed is unbelieveable.
I raced a 250 cc Dot ,as a single, still grasstrack and  I drove a 1000 cc Goldstar bit I never raced that.It was very heavy but I loved it. The first bike I had was a real oldie, I think it was a Velocette,(maybe that was my scooter)  anyway it  had a gear lever not on the handlebars but on the side of the tank.

Now at almost 70 , over weight and disabled it is fun to think back and remember getting into tight racing leathers.

Now I get my kicks growing tomatoes. ::)

Maybe the spirit of competition is still there in me.... I am going to win !!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

XX Jeannine

Oh and by the way, I planted my seeds the day before yesterday....

LAST CALL>>>>>>>>>>>> SEEDS...............I still have a few............PM me>>>>>>> OFFER CLOSES 11th March.Seeds go back into storage that day.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 19:44:53 by Jeannine »
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #161 on: March 07, 2012, 23:41:43 »

Brandywines are up, I don't mind that they are leggy at the moment, more roots to take up water when they are planted deeply  ;)

Big Zacs are happy in the prop and just 'thinking' at the moment  :)

Ninnys

Edited to say........the big potato on the right is a Desiree and it look's as if it's saying "Get me out of here it's a bit crowded, I need my proper bed!" .......my strange sense of humour  ;D
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 00:10:53 by Ninnyscrops. »

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #162 on: March 09, 2012, 10:00:43 »
Lovely pics,
Ive now got burpees delicious, navikova potted on and doing well and big zac are just poking through the soil. Thankyou very much to my fab seed donors.

I'm excited! and looking forward to the black russians being the medium tomatoes in the GH and tasting some new varieties.

x

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #163 on: March 09, 2012, 12:24:09 »
Wow Ninnys :o

Looks like your going to have a greenhouse/allotment devoted to tomatoes!!!

Debs ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #164 on: March 09, 2012, 19:25:14 »
Well done Ninny..

Sunloving, your Big Zac is poking through too, good for you.

My Rachael Sebastian Bull Bag is through this morning as is my Belmont and  Behemoth King, but no sign of my Big Zac.

I can'r remember the other biggies I planted apart from Hoy.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #165 on: March 28, 2012, 21:34:05 »

My Brandywines, potted on today as the roots were poking through the old cells. Can you see there are two kinds of secondary leaves, one smooth and one serrated! I saved the seed from one huge tomato, the one with my glasses on last year. Is it possible for crossing to happen in one part of the tomato and not the other  ???

One poser for Jeannine, I think  ::)

Ninnys

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #166 on: March 29, 2012, 00:02:45 »
Well I have never grown Brandywine before but here is a picture of my seedling. I am a bit worried about it as it doesn't even look like a tomato ...no serrated leaves at all!!!

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #167 on: March 29, 2012, 01:46:55 »
There are so many tomatoes now that carry the name Brandywine, many of which should not.

If we get down to basics..

Brandywine...no other words just simply  Brandywine..is a large PINK oblate beefsteak tomato

Duke your picture is bang on, that is a potato leaf. If the leaf is serrated it is not a Brandywine,well not the one with just the one word as above.

There is a Brandywine Red which has  regular tomato leaf

There is a Brandywine Sudduths Strain which is potato leaf

Then it goes on and on with many names being added to the name Brandywine.

There is a wonderful article on the web by Craig Lehoulier about the myths and truths about Brandywine.

Ninny the pictures are small but they look potato leaf to me, however if your Brandywine seedlings  come from a tomato on a plant that was  cross pollinated  last year the seeds this year would be F1 crosses of a Brandywine mother and an unknown father, if that is the case your plants  could well have regular leaf or  potato leaf and may or may not look like the original  Brandywine at all however as FI hybrids the plants should all look alike. If you get different plants ,some potato leaf and some regular leaf then the cross has happened before last year.

XX Jeannine
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 02:21:15 by Jeannine »

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #168 on: March 29, 2012, 08:28:50 »
Thanks Jeannine,

I thought something might be wrong so it's a relief to know its okay  :) I have two Brandywine on the go and they both look the same.

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #169 on: March 29, 2012, 17:53:48 »
Oh dear, just woken up after night shift and went out to greenhouse to check on seedlings....some of the ones in my propagator have been fried today ! The ones that were under fleece are fine, but I reckon most of the heritage toms are toast , rats. Oh well, I'll have some of them resown by next week, annoying though! >:(
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #170 on: March 29, 2012, 19:37:33 »
Not sure I grow really huge tomatoes as I cannot be bothered to thin a truss but I might get  a couple of decent Brandywines/Ox hearts.

Photos could be a problem though-no idea how to get pics from my new camera onto photobucket :-[

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #171 on: March 29, 2012, 19:48:54 »
Hi Cleo, how are you..you never answered my message about Alma Paprika seeds you were looking for ages ago, I grew it last year and kept loads of seeds.

XX Jeannine

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #172 on: March 29, 2012, 20:10:39 »
I'll plant some of each then Jeannine and thank you for the advice  :)

Ninnys

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #173 on: March 29, 2012, 21:16:15 »
you never answered my message about Alma Paprika seeds

Sorry I seem to have missed a load of stuff. Truth is I have been a bit out of touch recently. Jenny will always be  in my heart but a new Lady entered my life so if I am not gardening I`m cooking and ironing.

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #174 on: March 29, 2012, 22:09:00 »

Sorry I seem to have missed a load of stuff. Truth is I have been a bit out of touch recently. Jenny will always be  in my heart but a new Lady entered my life so if I am not gardening I`m cooking and ironing.

Good news to hear Stephan, on all fronts  ;).

Ninnys

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #175 on: March 30, 2012, 05:03:28 »
Now that is good news Cleo, smashing, I am really happy for you. So we are expecting you now to grow a huge tomato..Moneymaker maybe..

XX Jeannine

Chris Graham

• Hectare
  • Stirling, Scotland
    • Backyard
« Reply #176 on: April 12, 2012, 08:29:37 »
Here are my Marmande, which are now in growbags in my new heated greenhouse 5 x 10.

Astronomy, Veggies & Beer

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #177 on: April 12, 2012, 09:24:23 »
Get you and your fancy heated greenhouse!

Jealous? not me no.

Mine are still at the small pot stage but holding on the for last frost til they go in the beds.

But all survived the late frost so far, hooray.
I'm looking forward to all the roast tomatoes there will be this year!
yum
x Sunloving

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #178 on: April 12, 2012, 09:51:24 »
Well my replacement seedlings are mostly through and not quite ready to pot on, so goodness knows when I will catch you lot up! :-\ :'(
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #179 on: April 13, 2012, 05:42:54 »
Don't worry Debs, there is no finishing date..

I have just potted on

Big Zac
Hoy
Belmont
Behemoth King
Rachel Sebastian's Bullbag

Plus all my usual tomatoes.

I am interested in how Church and |delicious grow that I sent over as I didn't have room for them all

XX Jeannine

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal