Author Topic: Tomato growing competition for 2012..biggest fruit, just for fun  (Read 78372 times)

Nigel B

• Hectare
Re: Tomato growing competition for 2012..biggest fruit, just for fun
« Reply #140 on: February 15, 2012, 14:49:14 »
Ah Ha..so jayb is the supplier eh..well well..then maybe I shoukd be worried.....................not.

:o
Oh my! You are in SO MUCH trouble now Missy.

They've arrived!   ;D
Jayb has been rummaging through her most secret drawers to bring me the very finest in Tomato hugeness, and what is considered by some (Jayb and me of course) to be the very tip of the pinnacle of the top bit as far as big Toms go.  :P So you've had your chips as far as winning goes this year folks.

Can't plant them just yet though. I'm following the moon-planting guide for these puppies, and I can't plant anything this week accprding to the synodic chart I'm following.

8)
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #141 on: February 15, 2012, 15:44:25 »
Code: [Select]
I'm following the moon-planting guide for these puppiesAh..you are doomed..those two huge sun spots that has been in news recently are canceling all your good plans with moon..sorry you won't get any help from that cold piece of rock..keep praying.. ;) ;D
I gave warm breath from the loving grower to my little winners.. ;) ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #142 on: February 15, 2012, 17:16:51 »
Just transplanted seeds from Big Tony's big tomato and black krim, I'm just thrilled to have something growing  ;D

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #143 on: February 15, 2012, 17:47:15 »
I have to say we dont know the 1st thing about growing big tommies,and I dont have any secret seeds stashed for just such a comp......but if anybody is willing to send us a couple ......dont care what variety....we,d like a go and growing them just for the "fun value" in your comp.....it would be great fun....ive only grown standard beefs before
cant recall the type but EllenK very kindly sent us some Legends to try but purely from a blight resistant stand point and not cos they grow ginormous.....anyway,if anybody has a couple of biggun type we can try I wont disclose who sent them or the variety you send.......we just wanna take part for the fun of it.

GazNjude

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #144 on: February 15, 2012, 18:25:13 »
Send me a PM with addy and I will post a few to you XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #145 on: February 15, 2012, 18:27:28 »
Nigel, come on fess up, what came out of Jayb's drawers ..name names..

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #146 on: February 15, 2012, 19:23:25 »
Nigel, come on fess up, what came out of Jayb's drawers ..name names..

XX Jeannine
;D

You crack me up.... 8)

Ok. There's this one here.....
Mazarini. These seeds have a six-pack already.

Ummm Grandfather Ashlock An ex-prizefighter apparently. Heavyweight League of course.

and: Delicious That well known favourite famour for having eaten all the pies.

There are also some Black and Brown Boar too, just for flavour, and because she's a sweetie.  ;)

Now then. Do I have to pick one from these? 'Cos I will if'n I have to. Then we'll see whut's whut ey?

Ooh. I visited your area for a summer back in 198ty something. Or did I already tell you? My memory is awfully ummm.....
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 19:30:01 by Nigel B »
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #147 on: February 15, 2012, 21:58:34 »
Mmmmm :-X

The mind boggles A grandad ex prizefighter coming from..........

Some good stuff there.

No you didn't tell me you were here..did you ring the bell,I might hav been on the patio, it is always best to knock..loud

Good Luck

XX Jeannine

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #148 on: February 23, 2012, 19:07:45 »
Brandywines are in the seed tray!

Ninnys  :)

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #149 on: February 23, 2012, 19:10:48 »
OH NO !!!!!
Now that Ninnys has started hers off I am going to stort mine off tomorrow. Can't have her winning :P ;D She wins too many gardening prizes as is!

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #150 on: February 23, 2012, 19:40:21 »
Remember it's just for fun Duchess  ;D ;D ;D  :P

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #151 on: March 03, 2012, 07:28:24 »
A little update with process so far. My plants are now good 3" tall and ready for potting up for bit bigger pots (3 or 4")..which I shall get on with it today. Its going to be rainy day, so its perfect for playing with compost..and since I cleaned kitchen yesterday   ::)
So far, so good.. :)

elsie

• Half Acre
« Reply #152 on: March 03, 2012, 15:57:19 »
I'm going to start my seed tomorrow, bit late, but still haven't got my polytunnel up  ::) so I might have to make some sort of frame to put these out in...
Anyway, not quite Delicious, or some of the other monster varieties I've seen, but I will grow, Tom's Yellow Wonder, Marianna's Peace, Coeur De Boeuf and a Greek Beefsteak  :)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #153 on: March 03, 2012, 18:09:43 »
Elsie, Did I not send you some seeds..XX Jeannine

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #154 on: March 03, 2012, 18:33:18 »

Jeanninie, thank you so very much for the Big Zac and Pollock tomato seeds, they arrived today. As you can see they are already tucked up with the Brandywine with a few chilli and pepper seeds for company too  :)

Ninnys x

elsie

• Half Acre
« Reply #155 on: March 03, 2012, 19:37:32 »
Elsie, Did I not send you some seeds..XX Jeannine
No, but I wasn't expecting any  :)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #156 on: March 06, 2012, 09:41:32 »
Elsie do you want a few biggie seeds, if you do send me your address and I will mail you a few over.

XX Jeannine

elsie

• Half Acre
« Reply #157 on: March 06, 2012, 10:34:00 »
 :-\.... :-\.... :-\... ;)  :-*  ;D

Two Choices

• Acre
« Reply #158 on: March 07, 2012, 13:13:18 »
Just picked up this thread. Am I too late to play?  Got some Beefsteak planted in the hope it's OK . TC

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #159 on: March 07, 2012, 13:48:27 »
Hmmm.
My giganormous seedlings are up, but they don't 'arf look leggy compared to the 'normal' tomatoes. Still, I'm assuming that comes with the territory..

Now then Jannine... I rather suspect we both know people. :)
My friends lived at Maple as I said previously and were also quite well known to your friends at the Witch. Chris may even have worked there at one point, but I think she was bar-tending elsewhere when we were there... At a motel down the road a ways if memory serves. Flippin' memory. Its as dodgy as a dodgy thing, dodging stuff.
My friend Martin is, like myself, a motorcycle enthusiast. We used to go to the Westwood circuit, his 'home' track, at the weekends to race and we'd spend the evenings building or rebuilding bikes for himself or his friends.... Or at the pub, whichever took our fancy. ;D I'd be his pit-crew and we even mechanic/pit-crewed a wildcard rider called Robbie Much... Sadly passed away.... when the MotoGP came to town.
I had a fantastic time there. I had a job working mainly in and around Vancouver and the heights and even as far away as Whistler...'paid under the table', but shush. ;) Bought my own motorcycle out of the earnings and gadded about quite happily until it was time to come home ....
I'd go back in a flash if it were at all possible..... And stay. :)

Anyway. Sorry for the ramble....
Back to the giants...  8)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal