Author Topic: No autumn colour in my garden  (Read 2075 times)

genlistlass

• Half Acre
No autumn colour in my garden
« on: August 27, 2011, 06:42:03 »
My spring/early summer garden was LOVELY but now its drab green.

Half of my garden is heavily shaded by neighbours Leylandii trees so need colourful shrubs, preferably that like shade? Are there such things?

Gen in Northumberland UK
No allotment but medium sized garden with greenhouse, small-ish raised veggie plot and little shed.....my little kingdom:-)

gp.girl

• Hectare
Re: No autumn colour in my garden
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 08:18:45 »
Try Acers in large tubs (minimum of 18x18x18 inchs) lovely colours! Will enjoy the shade and you only need to water twice a week. Plus you can take them with you  ;)

Japanese painted fern for amazing foliage and pyracantha for berries. If it's not totally shaded some ground cover geraniuns will repeat flower. Hydrangea maybe theres some lovely ones and they will grow in shade.
A space? I need more plants......more plants? I need some space!!!!

genlistlass

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 19:06:51 »
Thank you gpgirl.... I love acers so they are a good suggestion. Don't like spikey things so maybe not the pyracanthus. Will try the geraniums and hydrangeas too. Off to the garden centre tomorrow if I cant beg, borrow or steal from someone:-)

Gen in Northumberland
No allotment but medium sized garden with greenhouse, small-ish raised veggie plot and little shed.....my little kingdom:-)

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 16:07:57 »
I have a japanese woodland garden, took me 8 years to develop. It looks fabulous at any point in the year, including the snow (as viewed from the Snow Viewing Window in the Tea House). Lots of evergreens and stuff that turns different colours at various points in the year.

Pretentious? Moi?
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 23:24:23 »
Have you gorra pic Mr Pretentious....er Lincsyokel? ;) I'd love to see your Japanese garden  :)
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 11:35:31 »
Mine is still very colourful with yellow and orange pot and French marigolds, nasturtiums, and "Mirabilis jalapa" which i think you call the 4 o'clock flower, they flower after August and are very pretty.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

claybasket

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 16:42:10 »
The japaness anemone, flowers quite a long time, into Autumn, grows about 5ft likes shade.

Monkey Brains

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 20:37:45 »
You could try some Cornus - it's a leafy shrub in the spring & summer, but once they drop their leaves they have the really bright red or green stems. The colour is best if they get to grown in sunshine, but I had a couple that did ok in shade (though as they were container plants, didn't survive last years very harsh winter, sadly)

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 21:41:00 »
Rudbeckias also flower well into autumn. So do Schizostilis (?) or I believe its common name is Kaffir lily, though Im probably wrong about the name....they do flower well into Oct  :)
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 21:43:58 »
Jackie

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal