Author Topic: Compost bin over-flow…  (Read 3759 times)

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
Compost bin over-flow…
« on: September 03, 2011, 09:20:53 »
What would you do?

I took over my plot from my 96 year old father about 6 years ago. My dad had an agreement with a semiretired friend of his to allow his friend to put clippings from his lawn mowing business into the compost bin.

This continues to this day.

When I took over I made a new large compost bin with two sections so I could turn the compost and have one bin on the go at a time. The friend filled both to around 6’ in height despite knowing my intentions so that idea went out of the window.

Yesterday I found several bags of clippings dumped on another part of my plot as both compost bins are filled to over flowing. Did someone ask me?  :o Nope!

There's only so much grass you can dig into 12 rod of allotment in one year.

Time to say “enough is enough”.   >:(

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Compost bin over-flow…
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 10:08:38 »
I normally like my grass clippings..but suppose in your case too much is not good neither.
And..if you like to be 'organic'..there is no knowing what in coming in with his clippings...there might be some chemicals that you don't want to your crops..
Well..what I would do is not relevant...just search what your instincts say to you..but reading your post you might have made you mind up.
What was your dads agreement was between them..and you are now 'new' lord of the land and decide what you want.. ;)
As the year is coming to an end..if you do decide to end this grass 'business'..perharps it would be easiest to have a word and say.."after this winter I shall not want/need any grass on my land anymore..thank you''...be firm but friendly so there is no guessing left what your intentions are.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 12:05:19 »
I simply feel a bit "made use of" to say the least.  :(

The chap charges more than £10 a lawn and uses my compost bins to dispose of the bags and bags of weekly clippings rather than pay at the local tip.

The grass clippings have been fine over the years - lightened the soil, increased water retention and probably done a power of good. Problem is I have no room for annual weeds and other green stuff that should go onto my compost heap. It is taller than I am and around 12'x8'.

Dumping the clippings on ground I want to grow in without asking is not on.  ???

I tried to phone today... no answer so I've written a polite note saying "no more, please".

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 12:18:10 »
I love lots of grass clippings but there is a limit.  I hope to cover my entire plot through the winter.  I leave them to heat up for a few days in the dalek and then use them as mulch everything has a couple of inch layer around it and there is a thick layer on all the paths.

But I would be very worried about what weedkillers people might be putting on their lawns.  My neighbours keep on putting weedkiller on part of my lawn and it has not done my beans any favours at all.

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 13:14:44 »
I to would worry what what sprays have been used on it, but if it is not contaminated, can't you arrange for him to just make a pile somewhere on the site for anybody who wants it?

If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 14:43:27 »
Blimey Digeroo, I'm surprised you let them get away with that.  What makes them think that is exceptable behavior.

pumkinlover

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 15:57:10 »
Am I right in thinking it is ok to compost grass for a year or so even after weedkiller?

I do use a lot of other peoples grass clippings but I get warned if had any treatement or they jsut put it in green bin.

This year I have used on potatoes and on asparagus, on top of the paper shreddings from work.

Adenroller maybe you just need to explain that you are doing things differently now! and do not need any more
as for Digeroo's neighbour  ??? -not on at all.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 11:38:24 »
I've been phoning all week-end with no resposne.....so it's time for a note through the door before the entire plot vanishes under grass clippings.  :(

As for "weed & feed" treated grass - Yep, I get that too but I'm usually told which end of the compost bin it has gone into so attempt to leave that there for longest. I'm not so sure I want treated grass on my plot at all.

This will be the end (for now at least) of an agreement my father made with his pal around twelve years ago when the plot was my father's.

2 or 3 darlek bins full of grass each week x 4 months of the year x 12 years. A lot of grass.

Time, as the French do, to say: "Grassie arse but enough is enough."  ;)

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2011, 10:17:21 »
I think I would be telling the 'Semi retired friend' that the agreement was with your Dad which was with the original compost bins, not the ones you have constructed for your use :)

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2011, 11:58:40 »
I think I would be telling the 'Semi retired friend' that the agreement was with your Dad which was with the original compost bins, not the ones you have constructed for your use :)

Thanks Mr Smith.. the deed is done!

I wrote a note and dropped it through the letter box. I expect I'll hear soon when they get back from holiday.  ::)

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2011, 12:08:04 »
I try and mulch as much as I can - particularly over winter.  My sister saves me her grass clippings as I only have a little grass at home.  But the amount you have been dumped on is far too much!  So be firm - call a halt to this mans activity!  The alternative is - would the allotment site allow him to dump them in a communal area for everyone else to take? That could be an answer to his problems!
Grow yer bugger grow!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2011, 12:27:28 »
2 or 3 darlek bins full of grass each week x 4 months of the year x 12 years. A lot of grass.

That is an amazing amount of bio matter, how are things growing on your lottie.  Do you need a ladder to get up onto your lottie? ;D 

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2011, 12:40:03 »
Surely someone else on your site would love them?  I would welcome a couple of bags every week to top up my Daleks.

With Weed And Feed, you are supposed to compost for 6 months before using.  But some people buy a weedkiller called Verdone (because it is so effective) and that contains a substance from the same class as Aminopyralid so I would npt want that.  Mind you, it is quite expensive so perhaps little used.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2011, 14:09:12 »

That is an amazing amount of bio matter, how are things growing on your lottie.  Do you need a ladder to get up onto your lottie? ;D 

The soil is wonderful. The neighbouring plots are clay and dry out in hot summers but I can plant into mine with my fingers! My dad worked the plot for 50 years and I've dug in huge amounts of compost every year - it really does make a difference.

Eleen K - you are right - other people on our allotment site do take excess grass cuttings that won't fit in/on my compost bins but they have sufficient for their needs so I continued to get the vast bulk of it.

There are times when you can have too much of a good thing.  ::)

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2011, 17:04:14 »
4 pallets, make another compost bin.  No such thing as too many compsot bins.
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2011, 21:14:14 »
4 pallets, make another compost bin.  No such thing as too many compsot bins.

My two bins measure about 8'x16'. What percentage of your plot would you give over to them?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal