Author Topic: The biggest tomato..  (Read 4314 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
The biggest tomato..
« on: August 29, 2011, 23:29:34 »
Just curious, what is the biggest tomato you have ever grown and what variety was it.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

plainleaf

• Hectare
Re: The biggest tomato..
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 05:06:22 »
delicious 3.5 lbs

carbonel11

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 08:48:29 »
Jeannine thanks for starting this thread. I'm pretty hopeless at growing tomatos myself but enjoy hearing about others successes. I've followed ( but not contributed to, not enough of an expert )  your threads on blue toms, white veg bed, minature veg bed and your perenniel and winter themes and find them fascinating. I hope you find those queen of heart tomato seeds  :)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 09:51:36 »
These, I have them down as oxheart from my friend in south africa,Eric. However, he sent me another packet, it's a different shape  :)

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 16:37:45 »
Oxheart toms are generally sort of in the shape of an oxheart but they also grow funny shapes like in your pic. So yes it is 100% an oxheart tom .. I used to grow them in Zimbabwe and all sorts of shapes would appear!! So tasty..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 18:29:24 »
Thankyou Carbone, that is very sweet,, however we need to get you growing tomatoes better so perhaps we can help.

The reason I asked this question is because I talked to a man a couple of days ago who claimed his Marzano tomatoes had topped 5kg,now he is a bit of a blow hole at the best of times so I laughed but he was adamant..he even had a picture on a scale..but it seemed very unlikely to me so I thought it was rigged.

Anyway unless the record has been broken I believe it was 7lb 4 ozs from man in the US ,southern states.

The best I ever did personally was just over 2lbs and that was some time ago so I am way off base.

I have never actually deliberately tried to grow a biggie but I might next year just to show the blowhole.. I can be real bad.

Plainleaf I have Delicioius seeds, and Big Zak and a new one called Hoy so may be asking for tips LOL

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 18:41:46 »
Sorry Manics, forgot your wonderful picture there..it is a great tom, but not like a true  oxheart, it is  too ribbed  with a heavier bottom  to me  and looks more like a  Zapotec,Gezahnte  or a Costoluto Genovese. It is not uncommon for them to throw a plum shape.

Whatever it is it is a geat tomato though,,well done.

XX Jeannine

elsie

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 18:42:09 »

I have never actually deliberately tried to grow a biggie but I might next year just to show the blowhole.. I can be real bad.

I can't wait to see this  ;D ;D ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 18:44:59 »
elsie, perhaps better if you don't hold your breath.. this man told me early in the season that the transplants we had were useless as he grew enormous tomatoes , I guess he wanted to prove it to me. It was when he said he bet me I couldn't grow anything bigger than him,ever.. that I got a bit interested.

XX Jeannine

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 19:09:03 »
Big Boy
In old money 1lb 6
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

plainleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 19:29:23 »
sorry Jeannine  you incorrect the record in 7.75 lbs 7 lbs 12 oz /3.5153 kg in Edmond OK /USA by Gordon Graham in 1986.before that record was 6.5 lbs in 1976
the variety in both cases was was Delicious.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 20:09:04 »
Yes that sounds about right, my memory is not as good as it once was, but I think the readers got my point anyway which means the man I spoke to is not exactly being honest.

XX Jeannine

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2011, 20:45:56 »
Largest I've had so far this year is 1lb11oz, sorry no picture, thought about it but I was in the middle of cooking at the time. Variety Mazarini, a lovely pink heart.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

elsie

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 22:27:17 »
elsie, perhaps better if you don't hold your breath.. this man told me early in the season that the transplants we had were useless as he grew enormous tomatoes , I guess he wanted to prove it to me. It was when he said he bet me I couldn't grow anything bigger than him,ever.. that I got a bit interested.

XX Jeannine

Obviously I've never met him or seen his tomatoes, but I'd still put my money on you any day!   ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2011, 23:36:13 »
Well you know I might just  take him on..any help appreciated, I have never done this before.has to be organic though.

Come on folks I kinda wanna take the wind out of his sails a bit..not nice but he sorta dared me.

Help!!

XX Jeannine

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2011, 12:40:26 »
One of my plot neigbbours has oxheart tomatoes.  The shape looks like it came straight from the ox but not a candidate for a mega weigh in.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2011, 13:15:52 »
Biggest ever was 2lbs 4oz from Jumbo Tom, now named Supersteak I believe, biggest this year has been a 1lb 3oz Black Krim.... that's enormous for a Krim in my experience, usually they're a lot earlier but smaller than this year.... this year they're huge (had another one at the pound mark and another two on the same truss look like they're about there too, normally don't expect anything much over 8oz of a krim).... A variety I call "Giant Spanish Red" seems to be putting up some monsters too.... got it frmo ebay a couple of years ago and it does what it says on the tin... they're very big, the plant puts out a fair number of them (it's a pretty aggressive vine) but it is rather late.... it's stablemate "Giant Spanish Yellow" is one of the tasitiest coooked tomatoes I've ever had BTW..... even stood next to Heinz though flavour different it was gorgeous...

chrisc

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2011, 23:03:08 »
This is mine.  I grew it on the window sill. 

Sorry, I'll get me coat ...

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2011, 23:59:42 »
You must have used a lot of bull shush to grow that one Sam.. did you ingest a bit too. LO XX Jeannine

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2011, 13:37:12 »
I had an HSL "Yellow Oxheart" that got just over a Kilo...  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal