Author Topic: which howard rotovator can have attachments fitted?  (Read 13476 times)

RenishawPhil

• Hectare
    • Parking Ticket Appeals Service
which howard rotovator can have attachments fitted?
« on: August 26, 2011, 08:47:59 »
Am I correct in thinking its just the 400 to which you can fit a plough .just seen a 352 ,and wondered if you could do the same.

Any help appreciated:)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 08:59:53 by notts_phil »

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
Re: which howard rotovator can have attachments fitted?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 17:08:28 »
Never seen a plough for a 400 but there's one for the 300/350/352. there is a potato ridger for the 400, deep cutting pick tines and a PTO  which can be used for various things. THe classic Howard for lots of stuff is the Bantam where you've got power scythes, cylinder mowers, pumps etc..... I've got a 400 adn I'd advise being sure it's what you want from a rotavator as it's quite narrow and tends to be a bit of a wrestle on uneven ground.... THat siad its weight and low-down slogging ability mean that you don't really need to care about the condition of the ground you're doing, if it's really bad then just take one pass at half height then a full depth one.... I love my 400, but it does take pretty much as much room to turn round as a Gem and isn't as laterally stable, plus it only cuts about half the width of a Gem so take s a bit longer..... it will fit down narrower spaces though, I'd struggle to get a Gem down the side of my house, the 400 is a doddle...

The 200 series (Bulldog, Bullfinch, 200, 220) can have a power scythe and a ridger, [plus wuith their exposed belt system I've seen various other things bodged on there, I'm pretty sure that there's a plough for the 700 but that 2-stroke diesel is a brute of an engine, give me the sidevalve ones any day :-)

RenishawPhil

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 21:48:43 »
Is the plough any good for the 352?. Also it just a case of taking the cultivator back.bit of and putting the plough on?

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 22:34:28 »
if its anything like my 350 you take the tines off and fit the plough, i had to make some bungs for the ends of the tine bar, i used a bit of threaded bar and two spray tin lids to stop soil getting into it. if ploughing you will also need the front weight to balance it out. i also made some wheel weights to keep it in the soil and they weigh about 22lbs each as if the ground is a bit solid it just jumps over the top. If you don't have the front weight it will not plough at all.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 22:36:08 by hippydave »
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 02:33:00 »
I have a Howard 200 and, although I don't have one, I'm pretty sure it takes a plough/ridger attachment if you can still get hold of one.

RenishawPhil

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 11:49:18 »
Well ive got the rotovator, plough and potato ridger. ;D

The plough just needs the knife welding on (the OH's owns a garage so should be solid as a rock)

The bloke selling the plough had the 352 and showed me how it goes on.

However i wonder if its possible to remove the rotovator back end and then attach the plough on.  I know this will require some skill etc . but i wonder if it can be done?

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 13:07:04 »
I think it's a matter of a few bolts, some WD40 and no bad language.  ;)

Have you got the user manual? That would help.  :)

RenishawPhil

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 13:39:11 »
I think it's a matter of a few bolts, some WD40 and no bad language.  ;)

Have you got the user manual? That would help.  :)

Yea got both for the attachments and the machine itself

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2011, 00:50:05 »
My Howard 200 user manual shows how to remove the rotovator unit and how to add attachments.

It doesn't mention what to do when this has not been done for the last 43 years and they've become well and truly stuck together!  ::)

As I only use it as a rotovator once or twice a year that's not a problem.  ;)

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2011, 13:27:06 »
I have a Howard 200 and, although I don't have one, I'm pretty sure it takes a plough/ridger attachment if you can still get hold of one.

Yeah, I've got one for mine, works differently to the 400 one, the 400 ridger is just dragged through the tilled soil behind the tines in the same way as the Gem one, the 200 one acts as a deflector from the soil thrown up by the tines.... fropm what I can see it looks like the side panels are a must if you have the ridger otherwise the dirt goes everywhere....

RenishawPhil

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2011, 22:17:00 »
All I need to find is find a trailer and plough hitch bracket

Anyone got one please  :)?.......
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 22:18:38 by notts_phil »

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 22:58:10 »
You can fit anything to anything, given a hammer, hacksaw and welding torch   8)
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal