Author Topic: Carrots  (Read 8581 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: Carrots
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2011, 09:38:21 »
I rather regret not lifting mine when I first saw this thread.  At the time I had very little fly problems, since then there has been devastation.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2011, 08:50:57 »
I've managed to grow carrots decently for the first time this year, all of them were started off in modules, either in 24-cell trays with a toilet roll tube shoved in the the top or (when it wasn't needed by other things) in my one precious set of root-trainers. Varieties have been Early Nantes 5, Chantenay red-cored, Eskimo and Autumn King. All but the Autumn King were grown in large pots, the AK is in th eground. Almost finished the Chantenays, the Natnes were finished a while ago, then it will be the AK's and finally the Eskimo, which hav ehte option of moving down into the greenhouse if the weatehr looks manky.... Will probably start some forcers (ROndo or Amsterdam or whatever) in heat in the GH in a couple of months time....

Found some fly damage on one of the Chantenays last night, there's one more pot of them left to go, the Nantes were clean, the Eskimo and AK thinnings have been clean too...

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2011, 21:29:48 »
I live in a rampant cow parsley area with all the carrot fly problems that entails. I use flyaway or resistafly seed. Plant in June to miss the early batch of fly, [early carrots  in bucket in poly],cover carefully with mesh and now have a lovely crop with carrots well over 8 ins long [ must try to take photo and learn how to get it on line..] Have now taken mesh off and hope the mild weather hasn't allowed a super late hatching. I intend to leave them in the ground unless the local rodents start getting their teeth in. Then I'll be off for a bag of sharp sand... ::)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal