Author Topic: This is supposed to be a baby blue hubbard!  (Read 1123 times)

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
This is supposed to be a baby blue hubbard!
« on: August 21, 2011, 15:56:34 »
This squash germinated very early. I had to pick it to make room for another which is growing nicely and which really does look like a baby blue.

Anyone else seen one like this? the 'carapace' is very hard but the blue shows through the net effect.

Tricia

[attachment=1]

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: This is supposed to be a baby blue hubbard!
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 21:54:26 »
Tricia,Hubbards are known for bumps and scars that look a bit like the netted texture on melons  especially the New England strain but this is very heavy. The picture shows it as quite round or is it a bad angle, if round it is the wrong shape too. Looks almost like a cross between a Hubbard and a Galeuse di, Eysines. If round the wartyness might stretch out as it grows but this looks all wrong to me right now.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 23:22:37 »
Jeannine - the seeds were from you  :). The squash is roundish and a lovely blue under the 'netting'. The second fruit looks like all the images I found on Google so maybe this one is an aberration. It's not warty at all and had almost no neck at all. The 'netting' does remind me of some types of melon though. Weird!! I'll see if I can use it in the next week or so and will take a photo of the inside.

Tricia

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 00:00:10 »
amazing photo, and amazing squash!

Hope it tastes good  :)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 03:32:29 »
Tricia, I had an awful feeling you were going to say that..

I am also growing Baby Blue from that same batch but the foliage is like a forest, I will take the machete(ha ha) in with me tomorrow and take a closer look.

They should get to about 7lbs whereas the mummy of them grows more than double the size.

All y blues are in a patch together this year as I wasn't going to save seeds(I would bag them if I was) but I think even taking care there are the odd through backs now and again.

I hope it tastes good and if the others on the plant are fine well it is just one of those squash things.

I never save seeds from my first fruit on a plant  as they are often not viable but it may be fun to try with that one.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 23:24:54 »
Update on weird squash............... It had started to go soft in a couple of places so I cut it in half...........

[attachment=1]

No seeds inside, but when the flesh was steamed and mashed the flavour was lovely.

Tricia

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal