Author Topic: Site what it says on the tin?  (Read 9126 times)

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
Re: Site what it says on the tin?
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2011, 10:22:23 »
On every forum you get a few regulars who think they own the playground and if you say something they don't like, they get their cronies to rally round and try to bully you off the field.  And this minority do end up defining much of the charater of the board.

But, irritating as they are, sticks and stones etc. Just read the stuff you are interested in and skim over the rest.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2011, 10:29:54 »
Plenty of pages on this site for Allotment gardening and advice, what would be the point be if everyone agreed on everything or even agreed on gardening issues, the thread on the 'Riots' is nothing compared to what some of our members have posted in the past,  ;)

Uncle_Filthster

• Half Acre
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2011, 11:26:20 »
Instead of just leaving quietly Vitruvius is being an internet Drama Queen by announcing it to everyone.  Classic case of internetitis. I've seen this kind of thing time and time again in the 15 or so years I've been frequenting the internet.  Funniest thing is no one really cares as there will be other people that find the site and contribute.  The internet in general has degraded since about 2003/2004.  Yes there is more stuff on it but there are way, way more anuses on it now due to the massive drop in the price of computers around that time.

This forum is very pleasant compared to a few I am a member of.  I've not seen anythreats of violence, etc on here.  If you don't like or aren't interested in a thread don't read it, simple as.  Get thicker skin too.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2011, 11:33:30 »
On every forum you get a few regulars who think they own the playground and if you say something they don't like, they get their cronies to rally round and try to bully you off the field.  And this minority do end up defining much of the charater of the board.

But, irritating as they are, sticks and stones etc. Just read the stuff you are interested in and skim over the rest.

Spats come and go,I have learnt to say your bit but then leave it alone............life is too short.

This can be an amazing forum where people have come on with the most awful problems and can be supported on here.See Listening Post.

Love this forum so hope we can all be little Angels LOL  ;D

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2011, 12:14:47 »
i don't think theres any need for a ignore button,:; just go another topic like you would if watching t.v which has no ignore button. only a channel changer theres topics on here that i have never gone to  through lack of interest,

Most people including myself just look at the recent posts list to see if there is anything interesting.
The problem is, interesting posts often get bumped off and missed by other 'hot' topics.

With an ignore thread option, you can remove the stuff you are not interested and then you are less likely to miss the stuff you may be interested in.
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2011, 12:41:12 »
Ok then...

....Hands up if you have me on 'Ignore'....  ;)
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2011, 13:03:00 »
Who said that.   ??? ;)
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2011, 13:08:07 »
"i'm sorry we can't come to the phone at the moment to take your call..........actually we probably are in, it's just that there's someone we really don't want to hear from.
So please leave your message after the tone, and if we don't get back to you, then you'll know It's You"

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2011, 13:40:30 »
I love this forum :)
I joined because we have an allotment and have recieved and even given advice.
I think the fact it's not completely gardening is splendid and when my old computer was playing up I got good advice on here because like gardening computers is something else we all share.
I waffle about rubbish often-sorry for that but if I didn't like it here I'd just leave  ;)
sanity is overated

pumkinlover

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2011, 13:58:54 »
 ;D ;D ;D  at CK, nigelB and Bugloss- who always seems to make me laugh out loud!
Macmac you do not speak rubbish at all as least not on here!

A shame V v feels like that because I found their posts interesting and looked forward to picis of the garden :(  but it's thier choice if the site is not for them.

When there is a spat I find the mods posts so brilliant that it is  like a training in conflict management techniques.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2011, 14:11:49 »
Lets face it Kev has been the site jester forever. With a little bit of help from his side kicks
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2011, 16:49:02 »
some folk are too thin-skinned, IMHO.

8)
You couldn't make it up!

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2011, 17:38:52 »
I agree with Tonybloke, but I don't want to be accused of being to friendly or your cronie, see you in September Tone, same meeting place in the playground, sorry I meant pub.   :P     ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Grandma

• Hectare
  • Worthing, West Sussex.
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2011, 18:03:13 »
I joined this site because i thought it was a place where people shared infomation and views about growing etc. Just lately what with "riots" and "exams" it is more like a political debating site !! People having a go at others about their views, spelling etc! I don't really want to read this sort of thing, i would prefer to read about people's gardening adventures. i may have to rethink if this site is for me or not! :-[

Silly moo.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2011, 19:13:52 »
When I buy a magazine I don't read it cover to cover. I just read the items that interest me & I do the same with A4A. There are some very knowledgeable & interesting posters on here from all walks of life. It would be a shame to miss out in MHO.

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2011, 19:21:00 »
Awww, VictoryV, stay around a bit longer, man.  You're not the first to want to steer clear of idle chit chat (as my dad would call it, lol) but as advised, just hide the non gardening boards - 'tis but a single click away! ;D

I was going to move this topic from The Basics to The Shed as it's not strictly gardening related but then if Vitruvius8 has put The Shed on Ignore  :o  ::)  ???  ;D
;D

and Bugloss- who always seems to make me laugh out loud!

LOL Bugloss always has me chuckling too ;D
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 19:22:37 by SamLouise »

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2011, 19:56:22 »
I just don't bother with the Shed - no need to put it on 'ignore' - and stick to the gardening stuff. My girls were both affected by the riots, but I can't be bothered getting into some futile debate about it.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2011, 20:51:03 »
I agree with Tonybloke, but I don't want to be accused of being to friendly or your cronie, see you in September Tone, same meeting place in the playground, sorry I meant pub.   :P     ;D ;D ;D

got a date, yet Kev?
You couldn't make it up!

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2011, 02:19:39 »
I joined this site because i thought it was a place where people shared infomation and views about growing etc. Just lately what with "riots" and "exams" it is more like a political debating site !! People having a go at others about their views, spelling etc! I don't really want to read this sort of thing, i would prefer to read about people's gardening adventures. i may have to rethink if this site is for me or not! :-[

Silly moo.

Just wandered across this thread and read on... and then wondered if "moos" were male or female?  ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2011, 20:53:23 »
Female. I've never heard of a moo-bull or a moo-bullock.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal