Author Topic: Site what it says on the tin?  (Read 9091 times)

vitruvius8

• Quarter Acre
  • Walled Garden, North Wales
Site what it says on the tin?
« on: August 20, 2011, 12:38:23 »
I joined this site because i thought it was a place where people shared infomation and views about growing etc. Just lately what with "riots" and "exams" it is more like a political debating site !! People having a go at others about their views, spelling etc! I don't really want to read this sort of thing, i would prefer to read about people's gardening adventures. i may have to rethink if this site is for me or not! :-[

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
Re: Site what it says on the tin?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 13:03:52 »
The Shed is for non-gardening discussion.  Simplest option would be to hide that board - visit your profile and check the ignore option for that board.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

vitruvius8

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 13:21:07 »
Ahh totally missed the point there !! and just about made up my mind for me, thanks. :)

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 13:22:44 »
What Unwashed says.  The Shed is for non-gardening chat.  It's a bit like in meatspace sitting down with others (that you don't really know very well) for a cup of tea and a chat or having a pint in the pub.  When the conversation turns to politics/religion/pets etc people get steamed up.  On the internet, you can't see faces and expressions or hear tone of voice so discussions/debates spiral out of control more quickly.  What would usually be resolved with 'have another chocolate hobnob/pint of bitter/peace offering of choice' turns into WW3.  On the internet, last word-itis is a common affliction.  People seem unwilling or unable to walk away without having the last poke with a sharp stick which kicks it all off again. {{{sigh}}}

You can restrict what you see on the board to only the gardening stuff by going to your profile and clicking on the boards you don't want to view then you can carry on enjoying and contributing to the fun stuff and leave the other 'stuff' for those who care about it.

vitruvius8

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 13:36:58 »
Little point being on the blog if you have half the users and half the boards on ignore, wouldn't you think? ( sigh! ) All i need to do now is find how to delete my profile and account. Thanks. Never did like "clicky " forums i'm afraid.

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 13:41:10 »
Well, I think there is a point if you want to concentrate on just the gardening stuff.  You don't have to ignore users one by one,  Just put, say, The Shed and The Watershed on ignore.  Then all you see is the gardening stuff and none of the non-gardening stuff which I think was what you wanted, wasn't it?  I'd be sorry to see you stop osting (or even posting!).

There is no option to delete your profile/account.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 13:56:38 by ceres »

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 13:48:01 »
It would be a shame to do that vitruvius8! There are loads of really nice and knowledgeable people in the forum who contribute masses of interesting gardening stuff in a civilised and friendly manner. If you just want the gardening you can cut out the rest. If someone annoys you, you can put them on ignore but read the rest of the comments. When you get over-the-top threads (of which there are one or two at the moment!!) it is usually down to one or two rather opinionated folk who refuse to let go. There have been a few over the years but they don't normally last long. Once folk stop responding they get bored and go elsewhere!! ...which I'd rather you didn't!! Was there any aspects of gardening in particular that you were interested in?

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2011, 14:03:41 »
Well, I am a total misfit here but even the posters whom I think talk a load of nads most of the time occasionally say something sensible.

And there are whole sections of the board I never look at but still get some value here and hope I occasionally contribute something too.

It's just like real life in that respect.  But if I do decide to move on, I'll be gone - you won't see any posts about it from me.

Do what you want - if you can't do that on the internet, where can you?

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 14:29:29 »
Seems an odd thing to say vitruvius as you seem to have contributed to several non gardening threads  ???

I am keen to see anything none clicky on the internet.

The Shed has been a popular part of the forum for years and if it gets out of hand the mods can normally sort it but compared to some forums this is like a convent LOL  ;D

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2011, 14:35:38 »
I was going to move this topic from The Basics to The Shed as it's not strictly gardening related but then if Vitruvius8 has put The Shed on Ignore  :o  ::)  ???  ;D

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2011, 14:55:30 »
Code: [Select]
if Vitruvius8 has put The Shed on Ignore ;D..you cannot win.. ;D
Personally I like the 'all sorts' of post in here..many 'purely gardening' forums are quite dead places..posts few and far apart.
This site has almost all time something going on.. ;D..and I love the amount of different personalities that we have.. ::) And lets face it..you only get out of this as much as you put in.
A4all is 'homely' site... ;)...even if we are not so agreeable..sometimes.. :-X ;D

Spudbash

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2011, 16:26:04 »
Speaking personally, I really appreciate reading the opinions of fruit and veg gardeners, who may have very different lives from mine, but whom I generally trust to be down-to-earth and honest in their views, whether the subject is related to horticulture or not.

Sometimes people let their opinions or sombre moods or a lack of sleep get the better of them, but I find most postings are written with care and courtesy. Some contain very helpful facts and recommendations and have broadened my horizons.

The site is clearly run and monitored as diligently as humanly possible and I'm grateful for what others put in, so that so many of us can tap into this unique resource: the collective wit and wisdom of other amateur growers.

Spudbash  :)

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2011, 16:29:51 »
^^ wot SB said - top site here.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2011, 17:14:32 »
Five years since I first came on and sometimes it does get a bit hot in the shed but I can choose wether or not I go in there.
I couldn't write down the number of really useful things I have learned from the folks on here.
It would be such a shame if you go
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2011, 17:23:11 »
Yes I agree, sorta like a family that get together and fall out occasionally..you have to pretend that the loudmouth is Uncle Charlie that no one really wants there and no one listens too much but he comes anyway.

Please don't give up on us all for the sake of Uncle Charlie..anyway I love to see your dog..

See you soon

XX Jeannine

Extras just for you XX
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2011, 17:30:51 »
There are a few of us who aren't very good at shutting up  :-[ - in my case it's just how I am - on and off the forum. Personally I like people with strong opinions, and enjoy a good debate - when it's about facts and not just tabloid-style rhetoric. People on here are from all walks of life and have a vast range of different experiences.

I do think it's a good idea to ask yourself if you would say what you're typing to someone's face. There are only a tiny number of members who appear to enjoy causing friction, and I suspect that they're just like that face to face too.

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2011, 18:53:40 »
There's been the odd strand or contributor I don't like but just stop reading at that point. Generally it's great to have access to a load of people who actually like going on about gardening (lot of people I know get that glazed look when I rabbit it on about growing things) with the odd foray into other stuff.
Agree you shouldn't post what you would be unwilling to say face to face - never know when it will bite you in the bum.

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2011, 19:20:10 »
Would the admin look into upgrading the forum to SMF 2.0 as the new version has a feature where you can ignore threads you are not interested in?
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2011, 20:19:50 »
Would the admin look into upgrading the forum to SMF 2.0 as the new version has a feature where you can ignore threads you are not interested in?

It's been sitting there in the Admin area for a couple of months but Dan hasn't done anything with it yet to the best of my knowledge.  I can ask him but you know how it is...........

brown thumb

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2011, 10:01:49 »
i don't think theres any need for a ignore button,:; just go another topic like you would if watching t.v which has no ignore button. only a channel changer theres topics on here that i have never gone to  through lack of interest,

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal