Author Topic: This site hosting  (Read 8739 times)

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
Re: This site hosting
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2011, 12:10:30 »
and im sitting on the end of a very fat pipe.

what are you smoking? LOL
You couldn't make it up!

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2011, 14:43:21 »
 Dan the Man, does a fantastic job here we are very lucky to have such a brilliant site. As jeannine says it cost nothing unless of course we use the picture posting & £10 is peanuts for a site where we are all allowed to almost moderate ourself, we have a really good cross section of peeps on here who really help each other out.
We do not need the boat rocking.

THREE CHEERS FOR DAN.

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2011, 14:55:18 »
It's not really a case of boat rocking.  There have been instances recently where the forum perfomance has been very slow or has stopped completely.  This seems to affect different people to varying degrees of severity.  If it happens too often to too many people then people stop trying and drift away and the forum stops being the lively vibrant place it is.  So, if people are having this kind of problem, I'm sure Dan wants to know about it and, if appropriate, explore other solutions.

And don't forget there are other ways to help out with the costs.  As well as buying a photo posting subscription, you can use the Amazon click-through at the top right of the screen.  It doesn't cost you anything extra if you're making an Amazon purchase anyway.  And if you want to post a classified ad on eBuygumbay, you can make a small donation out of the proceeds.  You'd pay to do it on eBay so why not support your favourite Allotments forum!

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2011, 15:50:37 »

Nothing, its technical slang meaning i have a seriously fast internet connection and therefore the lag isnt at my end.
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2011, 16:01:37 »
Nothing, its technical slang meaning i have a seriously fast internet connection and therefore the lag isnt at my end.
Although you were complaining about latency, not bandwidth.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2011, 16:07:42 »
i've also been sitting on the end of a very fat pipe, but that's what happens when you buy a King Prawn Curry at a Car Boot Sale

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2011, 16:57:47 »
Dan the Man, does a fantastic job here we are very lucky to have such a brilliant site. As jeannine says it cost nothing unless of course we use the picture posting & £10 is peanuts for a site where we are all allowed to almost moderate ourself, we have a really good cross section of peeps on here who really help each other out.
We do not need the boat rocking.

THREE CHEERS FOR DAN.

I echo that...

I feel happier here, much more relaxed and less likely to put my size 12 foot in it. (If I do I'm sure someone will let me know!)

I'm pleased I made the move to this allotment forum despite having been with another for years.
Thanks Dan and the A4A community for letting me join you.  :)

PS Speed isn't bad here most of the time - this forum compensates for it.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 16:59:30 by Aden Roller »

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2011, 18:31:18 »

I echo that...

I feel happier here, much more relaxed and less likely to put my size 12 foot in it. (If I do I'm sure someone will let me know!)

I'm pleased I made the move to this allotment forum despite having been with another for years.

We have a cupboard at A4A full of size 12 boots, I raid it on a regular basis ...  :-[ :-X ;D

i've also been sitting on the end of a very fat pipe, but that's what happens when you buy a King Prawn Curry at a Car Boot Sale

You do make me larf.

I don't even pretend to know what any of that previous garb means, I'd probably have more luck understanding Chinese but I do know that the site was quite wobbly on and off last month, but for me it's been back to normal for roughly 2-3 weeks now? :)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2011, 18:55:55 »
Question..

The amazon link..

I buy quite a lot of stuff on Amazon regularly from the US, Canada,and the UK, does the link benefit Dan from all three countries and can someone tell me how to do it. Also say I spend 100 sterling on Amazon what is that worth to the forum.

Are there any other links that also help

I buy lots by mail order so maybe could help that way but I don't understand the way it works.

I do pay the photo fee.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2011, 19:33:03 »
I suggest you all move to the Cotswolds where we have no more problem with A4A than any other.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2011, 19:43:10 »
Tim, now that sounds real good. B&B next year!!XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2011, 19:49:33 »
Yes please Tim ;).

carbonel11

• Half Acre
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2011, 19:57:16 »
I think Dan has done a seriously good job on a very tight budget. Yes we would all like to motor along in a porshe but we can still have fun bumping along in the old unpretentious model that Dan works so hard to keep going for us. Tim you're not worried we might lower the tone ? ;)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2011, 20:05:04 »
Ready & waiting!!

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2011, 20:28:27 »
I'll pack my bags then  ;) ;D.

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2011, 20:51:53 »

My missus thinks I'm off my trolley for laughing out loud at this.  8) ;D
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

pumkinlover

« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2011, 21:27:32 »

My missus thinks I'm off my trolley for laughing out loud at this.  8) ;D

Yes it was a good one!

Tim -where is the greenhouse?

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2011, 22:56:35 »
Bugloss....I was sipping a refreshment when I read your post...thankyou for showering my screen.

I too would like to know how to use Amazon to benefit this site.
Jackie

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2011, 23:28:53 »
I love this forum and I would hate so see it go but I don't feel good when told it is costing the owner too much money to run.

I have paid the odd few tenners in the past for piccies but I rarely post pictures these days so have mine hosted.

The most obvious answer is a subscription paid by all who wish to participate on the forum.However I have reservations as I belong to a local history forum packed with info much like here.As soon as subscriptions were taken all hell let loose re how the money was spent.A rival forum was set up and there was much bad feeling.I rarely go on it now as it is too depressing.

I think Dan needs help so anybody got any ideas ??

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2011, 23:35:12 »
I wonder how much it costs to update a sytem realistically, maybe we could have a fundraising drive and those that can kick in a bit to help..I would XX Jeannine

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal