Author Topic: faded Jeans  (Read 2244 times)

queenbee

• Acre
faded Jeans
« on: August 18, 2011, 22:30:46 »
I know that this isn't a allotment question but has anyone out there ever dyed jeans. I have about 5 pairs and they are all well worn they do not have holey knees or anything like that but are all well faded at the knees and bums. I am getting on a bit and although I love my jeans I do not do faded. Can I dye stuff in my washing machine or do I have to do it manually. I am a bit of a spend thrift and I can not bring myself to chuck out perfectly good clothes.
Hi I'm from Heywood, Lancashire

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
Re: faded Jeans
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 22:48:52 »
Oh this takes me back to being a teenager and being in trouble for dyeing clothes in my mums washing machine. I used Dylon
http://www.dylon.co.uk/

Duke
Ps I never dyed jeans but the web site should help ;D
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

queenbee

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 23:15:53 »
Yes Duke I remember sitting in a bath full of hot water to shrink jeans. My mum used to think I was mental. I also used to taper them on my sewing machine and I remember them coming undone at a party as I was dancing to the beatles She Loves you yer yer.  I was so embarrassed I never showed my face there again.

queenbee

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 23:29:12 »
Another embarrassing moment. My mum bought me a sewing machine when I was eighteen and I made myself a cream trouser suit. I did not have cream cotton so I used white. I went to a night club in Manchester which had those ultra violet lights on the dance floor. When I looked down down all I could see was purple stitching, not very perfect. Have any of you had such embarrassing moments. Go on tell us about them.   

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 23:42:54 »
Queenbee, faded is and has been the new "look" for a good while now and I can cope with it at 57 without a hint of shame ;)

.........but if you still have any globe artichokes (a tad doubtful at this time of year) and a small amount of beetroot juice from the steaming/boiling process then that's the best advice is to steep them in the mixture.  Washing machine might need a good workout after you wash them for the first time  ::)

Embarrassing moment - white towelling swimsuit at the local pool aged tender teens...........I say no more  :'(

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 04:00:36 »
Yes you can dye them in a washing machine buy the deepest navy dye you can find and be prepared to wash them seperate as you will lose some colour in the first few washes. If they are still too dark a tiny bit if bleach will fade them a wee bit but not too much or you will be back to square one.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 05:35:46 »
Cut the legs off and make a pair of these ;D

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 06:40:54 »
I have dyed a few pairs and they always came out fine. Wouldnt bother with hand dye, use Dylon machine dye, less hassle and works much better. Seem to remember they had a very dark greeny blue colour which looked good.

What I hate is those jeans with a purposely faded area round the bum, which makes me think the wearer has been sitting in their own wee!

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 06:54:10 »
Remember wearing Jeans so tight had to lay on the bed to do the zip up and get me Mum to haul me up as bending was difficult to say the least........ ;D

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 07:13:08 »
Cut the legs off and make a pair of these ;D

blimey Samantha Fox has really let herself go.............

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 07:46:36 »
Yep..I have used Dylon washing mashine dye..and for jeans too. They have big range of colours, what ever you fancy, but if you would want something more subtle..last time I bought some they had colour 'denim'.. ;)...that was few years ago though..but I should imagine it would still be going.
Usually I refresh my black clothes with black dye..they come looking almost as new again. ;D
Afterwards you just run hot washing cycle to get rid of remains of the colour...and remember to buy some salt! = read instructions before you get back home... ;)
ACE...you don't fail to amuse.. ;D ;D...blimey.. ;D...where do you find those picks to your 'treasure' collections.. ;D

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2011, 08:11:01 »
I also thought jeans were supposed to be faded.  The genuine cowboy look and all that.

Embarrassing moment, made home made blouse with new sewing machine but button holes too big.  So arriving at airport took off coat and blouse came off too revealing bright salmon pink bra.  Walked around for some minutes before I noticed.  Rather unusual at the time - 1972 when they were still mostly white.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal