Author Topic: Beans growing habits  (Read 895 times)

goodlife

• Hectare
Beans growing habits
« on: August 20, 2011, 17:08:07 »
Last year I received some seeds from Nordic seedbank..and one of the beans have 'thrown' odden out of the row.
Whole row is short-ish bush beans..but one plant decided to climb..I stuck cane on it to climb and yes..it is now reached end of the 8 ft can.. ::) Flower looks same as in the short types..even the immature bean pods are same.
So..question is..is it just sport of the same variety..or do beans produce odd ones like that without being cross pollinated with something else..should cross pollinations show sign of diffent look in plant too?

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: Beans growing habits
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 18:20:55 »
There are a few varieties of beans that have both a dwarf and a climbing version Blue Lake is one, you can buy seeds of that one  in bush or climbers,but  they remain true to the type.

Could be a one off or maybe one or one that comes in two forms and is a mix up.

XX Jeannine

When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Beans growing habits
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 18:43:12 »
I can't remember now if this bean was Swedish brown or Swedish one dot..but as far as I know they only come as bush version.
Well..time will tell..I shall keep the seeds separate from each sort. I'm looking forward to grow the climber again next year to see what sort it comes up again.
I think it might email the source of seeds too..see what they will say.. :-\
And perharps they appreciate my report for the 'oddity' and will look favourably my other application for the batch of seeds that I'm planning for.. ;) ;D You'll never know if you don't try.. ;)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal