Author Topic: Problem sending e-mails  (Read 6502 times)

bluecar

• Acre
Problem sending e-mails
« on: August 16, 2011, 13:20:19 »
Hello all.

I'm with tiscali and am now unable to send e-mails. I normally use windows mail but I tried outlook which also didn't let me send.

The message I get is:

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Subject 'Re: Meeting', Account: 'pop.tiscali.co.uk', Server: 'smtp.tiscali.co.uk', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10053, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

I have been trying for a couple of days and have also re-booted many times.

Does anyone have a suggestion of how I can solve this problem?

Regards

Bluecar

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
Re: Problem sending e-mails
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 13:25:29 »
can you log into your mail account via webmail?

http://www.talktalk.co.uk/mail/?check_cookie=1

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 13:37:57 »
Phone Tiscali. They will offer to check the connection and re-assure you that everything is working properly and the fault must be your end. Give it ten minutes, then try email again and you'll find it works perfectly!

At least, that's been my experience. If not, it really is your end and you need someone cleverer at computers than I am!

But you can use the internet, I assume? Otherwise you couldn't have logged on to A4A? Try logging on as Bugloss suggests.

bluecar

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 21:24:39 »
Thanks Bugloss and David.

I'll try these suggestions.

In the mean time, any other thoughts on a solution woud be gratefully received.

Regards

Bluecar

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 09:16:59 »
Have you by any chance installed or updated your anti virus program or installed a mail scanner or even a firewall.
If so disable it and try again.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 00:26:03 »
Thanks Bugloss and David.

I'll try these suggestions.

In the mean time, any other thoughts on a solution woud be gratefully received.

Regards

Bluecar

The real solution is not to use a POP ISP based email system.  The main snags by far are:

1. If you switch internet providers to get a better deal, you lose all your emails and email address
2. You can only read your emails on one single specific machine.
3. If you get a new PC, you have to set it up again, and invent a way of transefering your emails to the new machine.

You are far better using a web based email such as Hotmail, Hushmail, Googlemail, Yahoo etc. You can read you emai lon any PC on the planet, theres nothing to install if you get another PC, you keep your email address no matter what, anbd you can have as many email accounts as you like. And it NEVER suffers the the sorts of problems you describe above, if you can browse the web, you can read your email.

ISP based email is a pretty poor option, all things considered.

Get one here:

www.hotmail.com
www.hushmail.com
www.gmail.com
http://fastmail.fm/?STKI=19971
http://www.12free.co.uk/
http://www.mail.com/int/

Theres millions of them.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 00:29:09 by lincsyokel2 »
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 08:22:44 »
Personbally I would never use a web mail only service - take last weeks massive disruption to Hotmail which meant millions could get to their mail but of course it just comes down to personal choice..

I use POP based mail and have for 25 years and I have never been not able to access my email.

1 - Get your own domain and have pop on that - never have to change your email address.
2 - I can read my new email anywhere as it has a web interface for new mail.  Also I can just remote to my PC over the web from anywhere to check mail.  Plus I can get it on my phone and any mobile device..
3 - All decent mail progs have an export feature - I have mail on this system going back years and years.  Takes a minute to back up my mail..

The best bet is to setup something like hotmail or gmail and then pop enable it so you can have the best of both worlds.. In fact my Sky pop account is actually just gmail in disguise but I never use it...

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 08:45:26 »
But you can read your emails on any computer, whether it's a Gmail or a POP account. Log onto your server's website, type in your email address & password and you're there.

And why only one email address? My wife & I each have a personal Tiscali and Gmail account which goes to our own computer. Then we have an allotments account and a joint Gmail account which goes to both computers. And they all go to my iPad, which we leave downstairs for when we want to do a quick check.

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 16:54:40 »
Personbally I would never use a web mail only service - take last weeks massive disruption to Hotmail which meant millions could get to their mail but of course it just comes down to personal choice..

I use POP based mail and have for 25 years and I have never been not able to access my email.
But then you are computer literate, and  wouldnt have any problem setting up the email reader on another pc. Most of the people here wouldnt have a clue how to, and so the limitations described still apply. And what you need is a simple solution, not a show off solution.

1 - Get your own domain and have pop on that - never have to change your email address.

And how many people here would have a clue how to do that. Even then, if you have a domain you can usually configure the email to either web or POP. And the same limitations still apply on POP, you can only read the POP based mail on one machine, unless you want you emails spread all over several machines.

2 - I can read my new email anywhere as it has a web interface for new mail.  Also I can just remote to my PC over the web from anywhere to check mail.  Plus I can get it on my phone and any mobile device..

yet again, a solution unavailable to most people here. This post isnt a sinple solution to the OP's problem, its just a ten line personal boast on what you can do they cant.

My qualifications for my opinion are 20 years in IT builiding and installing WANS, LANS, Servers, and workstations. I dont know anyone I worked with in IT who uses POP email, because most people like to read on multiple machines without spreading the emails about or leaving them on the server, and web based is just far simpler, no set up required.

3 - All decent mail progs have an export feature - I have mail on this system going back years and years.  Takes a minute to back up my mail..
but why woudl you want to keep moving all your emails about all the time, not only are you risking data loss, you are leaving a recoverable trail behind you.............much simpler to leave them all up on the web and read then anywhere with no speacial bollxing about.

WHats more, its another piece of software to load and configure, why bother, when you can do it with your web browser, which is already installed and requires no configuration.

The best bet is to setup something like hotmail or gmail and then pop enable it so you can have the best of both worlds.. In fact my Sky pop account is actually just gmail in disguise but I never use it...

i disagree, the best bet is a web based mail and read them where they are, forget POP, its unecessary and achieves nothing moving the emails about, just creates an unecessary layer of complication.

Acronym first evolved in IT - KISS. Keep It Simple ,Stupid.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 16:58:01 by lincsyokel2 »

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 17:19:27 »
As I said it's just personal opinion - I prefer to control my email - I wasn't attempting to answer the OP as I have already done that.

Your reply does nothing to help the OP with his problem - you are just stating an opinion on web mail not offering any actual help with the specific issue.  Not that the OP seems to be bothered that much!

I work in IT and have done for many years and everyone has an imap or POP account - normally with some sort of web mail built in.  Many use gmail with the pop or imap option turned on - as I say best of both worlds. Cetainly no one in IT uses hotmail - it's an IT joke...

You seem to have a low opinion of people on this board - remote access to your PC from anywhere these days requires zero tech knowledge.  Use logmein or teamviewer - all free and easy.  All sorts of people use these services even children here at school.  Also so many people own a smartphone - I dont really think I am boasting here.  It's the modern way to do things.

You say that you can only read the pop based mail on one machine, unless you want you emails spread all over several machines

This is not true.  I read my pop mail here at work, on my phone and on my iPad but it is all consoladated on one PC at home.  With pop you have the option to leave mail on the server (mail clients for mobile devices will do this automatically sometimes) so you can read it anywhere and still have it all on one machine.   Also virtually all modern pop accounts come with web mail built in. So you can always check your mail from anywhere..

Each to their own..but I my pop account is in my pocket aswe speak - try using hotmail on a phone (although the andoid hotmail app is now moderately decent..)

and KISS did not come from IT but from engineering...
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 18:05:29 by BarriedaleNick »

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2011, 18:48:11 »
I have used my own domain for many years, together with a number of email boxes (IMAP) and many folders on each box. I can access by email client or web browser from anywhere. I now find that my server is synchronising my address books and calendars over my machines. My server is based in Denmark.
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 12:26:59 »
Another thing that baffles me is why people continue to use dial up for an internet connxtion. The ISP's only keep providing the service because the contractually have to, you cant actually buy a dial up connection any more, its 1980's technology. Furthermore theres now the vast majority of websites using XML, php or other languages simply wont download to your PC over a dial up, its too slow. Similarly, theres almost no sort of software update or download can be done on dial up - Garmin Maps for example, if you try and update a Garmin Satnav over a dial up it just thinks  the connection has been broken and refuses to entertain the idea.

And if they think they're saving money, they arent, basic broadband via fibreoptic costs less than you ar epaying for a dial up, and its about a hundred times faster. So why do you want to pay more for an utterly crap connection?. Its like buying a Reliant Robin but paying for a Bentley Continental. Virgin, for example will now sell you a phone line and no cap 10Mbs broadband for £10 a month, the same price most dial up users are paying.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 12:30:44 by lincsyokel2 »

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2011, 16:05:41 »
Another thing that baffles me is why people continue to use dial up for an internet connxtion. The ISP's only keep providing the service because the contractually have to, you cant actually buy a dial up connection any more, its 1980's technology.

I hope that dial up continues survive for a long time yet it has proved a godsend many times when my broadband has gone down for one reason or another.

Yes a dongle or connection by a phone is possible but dial up is installed and ready to go using a pay as you go service so no regular subscription needed.
Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal