Author Topic: Virus in busy lizzies  (Read 9611 times)

queenbee

• Acre
Virus in busy lizzies
« on: August 14, 2011, 20:16:54 »
I read in the paper yesterday that busy Lizzie's had been affected by a virus. Mine were doing really badly and lost all flowers and most leaves which were yellow. The underneath of the leaves have a white powdery substance, I immediately went out to check and sure enough it was the virus alright. I have spoke to a number of people in the area and all have got the problem. The article advised to dig up and not to put on the compost heap. Have any of you had a problem?
Hi I'm from Heywood, Lancashire

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Re: Virus in busy lizzies
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 21:35:59 »
Yes, mine have gone in the Council green bin.  They are just stalks and I thought it was ants or slugs.  Normally they grow well in the front garden in tubs.  :( :(

Toadspawn

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 22:25:15 »
It is not a virus but a fungus causing mildew. Fungicide has routinely been sprayed by large growers but now the fungus has developed resistance. Hence the problem countrywide.
There is no reason why the material should not be composted.

MissBaritone

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 06:14:42 »
According to the Garden News all affected plants should be burnt. The normal fungicides don't work on this. Thompson and Morgan have lost their entire busy lizzie wall to it

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 16:57:35 »
I think this caused problems last year spreading in from the continent with imported stock.

I believe there was something on the radio about it, also last year, recommending that gardeners give Busy Lizzies a miss for a year or two until the infection / fungus is eradicated.

Unfortunately my OH didn't know and bought a tray from somewhere or other and they too were a washout.  :(

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 23:40:05 »
 My busy Lizzies, are nothing but storks i shant be buying any for another couple of years now incase the fungus has got into the soil. Such a pity they are lovely plants & last all summer :(.
It is advised not to compost them.

lavenderlux

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 08:41:21 »
I accompanied a friend who was judging gardens for a gardening competition and just about everyone's  busy lizzies were affected, as also was the 'busy lizzie wall' at T&M's open day
My friend is a trained horticulturalist and his view is that busy lizzies should be avoided for three or four years and to use instead the small bedding begonias.   The larger 'New Guinea busy lizzies' though didn't seem to be affected

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 10:14:49 »
The larger 'New Guinea busy lizzies' though didn't seem to be affected

Hey... I hadn't thought of that but, come to think of it, I'm pretty sure we have a tub full near the front door and they seem to be doing well.  :)

Just shows how observant I am  :P  ::)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 20:48:58 »
Is the virus transmitted through seed, or just via nursery plants? If the latter, grow your own next year.

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 21:33:13 »
i'm surprised that someone hasn't been on to say - with all the bad things in the world, finally some good news - a virus that kills busy lizzies......

no, i love them really

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2011, 21:51:08 »
mine are all just wilted stalks, and i got them from T&M and until a few weeks a go they looked fine and in less than 3 weeks they are just white wilted stalks.
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

gardenqueen

• Acre
  • Love to garden.
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2011, 09:31:22 »
Mine started off giving a lovely display then just became baskets of stalks. Next year it's begonias for me

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2011, 09:58:06 »
Likewise - at least my neighbour will be happy not to have to water them whilst I am away.

lavenderlux

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2011, 10:17:54 »
The small bedding begonias have the advantage that they withstand dry conditions better than busy lizzies

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2011, 02:04:36 »
The small bedding begonias have the advantage that they withstand dry conditions better than busy lizzies

But, as you said earlier, "The larger 'New Guinea busy lizzies' though didn't seem to be affected"

We have two lots blooming beautifully but the ordinary type did the same as everyone elses.

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2011, 21:43:42 »
I read in the paper yesterday that busy Lizzie's had been affected by a virus. Mine were doing really badly and lost all flowers and most leaves which were yellow. The underneath of the leaves have a white powdery substance, I immediately went out to check and sure enough it was the virus alright. I have spoke to a number of people in the area and all have got the problem. The article advised to dig up and not to put on the compost heap. Have any of you had a problem?

I wonder if it will affect Impatiens glandulifera otherwise known as Policeman's bonnets the wild flower that has become quite a thug in some areas .
Trespassers will be composted !

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2011, 18:10:04 »
AKA himalayan balsam. That would be more than welcome!

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2011, 17:48:20 »
I had it too, mine disappeared almost overnight :(....I thought it was slugs as well. Oh well I shall find another shade tolerant plant next year.
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal