Author Topic: Tomato Seeds Wanted  (Read 4764 times)

willsy

• Half Acre
Tomato Seeds Wanted
« on: August 14, 2011, 11:25:46 »
Anyone got a few of the unusual tomato seeds Please. I would love to try something different next year.Dont know about any other A4all members but my tomatoes this year are very small, not ripening and Ive taken such loving care of them this year. They are sooooo ungrateful. Ann

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: Tomato Seeds Wanted
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 15:29:04 »
Hi Ann, just wondering what type of tomatoes are you after when you say unusual? What have been your favorite varieties to date and are you growing inside or out?
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

willsy

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 22:49:36 »
Hi Jayb, I tend to stick to the same boring well know varieties like sweet million, moneymaker,Shirley and the hanging basket type etc. Only grow inside as weather here is no good for planting outdoors. My mouth as been watering reading all the posts on different varieties some/most I have never heard of as I tend to buy my seeds from places like Wilkinsons, Aldi, Netto and they only sell the popular ones.So in answer to your question ANY other tomato seeds would be gratefully received for me to try. I will ( when I have the time post  a list of what other seeds I have to exchange ) will only be the common seed nothing exciting. 

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 00:04:59 »
Take a look at the online seed shops for better ideas as to what you are looking for.

Most of the ones I deal with are in the US and Canada but usually they will send to the UK if you buy any, thery are great sources for ideas anyway.

Some I suggest are

TatianasTomatoes..she has a super data base of varieties and sells many of them, posts to the UK, very reasonable, ecxellent

Sample Seed Shop, hs echarges only $1 a packet for seeds, sends to the Uk and is excellent too

Tomatogrowers Supply, aslo sends to the UK, shipping is a bit higher but good company

Baker Creek aka Rareseeds.. good all round company, shipping reasonable

Sandhill Preservation centre..great company but shipping is slower and they don't take credit cards so is a bit awkward but  great source for ideas.

Wild Boar Farms, have a great selection of ones they bred, they sell to the UK, some really wild varieties there.

Keep away from Amishland seeds..not reliable, incorrect descriptions etc.

T here are loys more but that should give you a good start for reading descriptions so that you know what is out there and you can buy if tempted or put your wants on the forum and see what folks have.

XX Jeannine

When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 07:40:39 »
Premier seeds direct is an ebay trader but they have lots of tomatoes & some heritage ones. Postal rates at 59p per order whatever the size is very good. I gave a friend some black truffle to try & she thinks they are wonderful. A lovely black tomato.

goodlife

• Hectare

brown thumb

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 14:57:28 »
i will have to sort though my seed tins that's in the lotty and make a list of toms i got, their not unusual or rare but there might be a variety you have nt got your self and fancy    i will get back to you

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 12:36:32 »
Yummy, lots of lovely tomato seed sites listed  :) I'm not sure if it will help you narrow down some varieties to try, or turn you into a tomato seedolic! I keep on finding must try varieties  ;D
Let us know how you get on and what is taking your fancy  :)
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

petengade

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 15:31:29 »
Willsy, I have striped stuffer, black cherry, yellow golden sunrise tomato seed if your interested, do not want swop's, pm your address please and will post  some of each to you.
 I cannot believe it, others telling you where to buy whilst pretty pleasing for free seeds,

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 19:00:02 »
I think you have misread our posts Petengrade.

The poster did not know what she wanted,by giving her links to various sites and some info about them she could get an idea of what she fancied, she could buy if she wished but it was more for a database of info for her to decide what she wanted to ask for.

I have 800 varieties of tomato seeds and share readily,but I cannot post 800 varieties, once she knows better what she is looking for and lets us know I feel she will be offered many varieties from various posters.

Our info was not a snub off merely an attempt to help her. As I said in my original post "you can buy if tempted or put your wants on the forum and see what folks have"

It is a blessing to share.

XX Jeannine

When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 20:38:10 »
Are black cherry a F1?  I was given a couple of the tomatoes by someone on lottie and saved seed.  Tehy seemed to have morphed into red cherry.  Don't worry Willsy my toms are very small for some reason this year including marmande and black seaman that were huge last year.  Ihad put it down to my little mishap and not being able to change the soil in the greenhouse border due to having to lie face down for nearly two weeks and then being instruction not to even try digging for another 6-8.  I have Il San Marzano, Princip Borghese, and others if you would like to try a few.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 21:45:37 »
I have some white cherry toms but none have ripened yet. If I get some you will be welcome to some seed :)
Jackie

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 22:24:49 »
add gartenperle to that list - just bought some and I only wanted 1 packet of walla walla

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 22:27:44 »
Black cherry is an open pollinated one XX Jeannine

montbrayon

• Not So New ...
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2011, 21:19:43 »
I think its been a bad year for tomatoes this year willsy, everyone I have spoken to says there's aren't as good as in previous years.  Think it must be all the cold and wet, well it is with mine they have suffered being outside.  But look on the bright side... there is always next year   :)  :)  :)

willsy

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2011, 19:30:27 »
Thanks to Petengade for sending me those tomato seeds. sorry if I have name wrong, I cant find your email which you sent me.But you will know who you are, and again thanks. Lottie Lou and Hector thankyou for your offer, I have received Green Grape,Yellow Pear andIi think its Charlie Green? I dont want to try toooo many at once these are fine for me for now.   But maybe another time. Thanks. Montbrayone , lucky you in France.You are lucky to be able to grow outdoors. no chance of that here in the North West Ann

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2011, 21:44:55 »
Black cherry is an open pollinated one XX Jeannine

And yummy too, a lot sharper than Sungold but a good tomato taste.... They're the only two cherries I'll grow indoors next year (plus Garden Pearl outdoors)

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2011, 22:55:06 »
Oh is Gartenperle a cherry?  I thought it was a currant tom.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal