Author Topic: Unused beds - cover or green manure  (Read 1773 times)

newspud9

• Half Acre
Unused beds - cover or green manure
« on: August 13, 2011, 18:03:54 »
Now that all the garlic is up and following complete disaster with the caulis, I now have 2 beds which are not being used.  Other than using them for over-wintered crops, if I was going to wait to use them again for next season do I cover them up with plastic or sow green manure or...?

Many thanks for all the comments

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
Re: Unused beds - cover or green manure
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 22:55:17 »
I am going to chuck compost/manure or anything biodegradable on mine and then cover.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 23:23:28 »
I do the same as lottie lou. I know some dont think its a wise thing to do but I find it saves on a lot of weeding time come the spring and the soil is always in perfect condition when it ready to be planted up again. Rain soaked ground doesn't delay my planting and the soil is warmer.

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 23:42:52 »
Some I sow with green manure, some I build up to a central ridge  (it improves drainage and warming up after the winter), some I cover. It usually depends what I intend to grow there in the springtime.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 08:09:37 »
I think it will depend on your soil and where you are.  It is so dry here that I think that covering now would be a disaster since it would lock in the dryness and the worms will not come up to the surface to sort things out. 

I like green manure personally.  Covering with plastic isn't natural.  There are 2-3 growing months left.  Apart from anything else will also supply me with more mulching material for next year.   

plainleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 13:41:21 »
Digeroo worns do not move moisture they just eat organic matter and leave worm poo.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal