Author Topic: Bush Courgettes  (Read 3021 times)

banksy

• Half Acre
  • Southend-on-Sea, Essex
    • my blog
Bush Courgettes
« on: August 12, 2011, 08:53:24 »
This may be a silly question....  :-[

I have two bush type courgette plants that are flowering well, but that's all they do.  The flowers come and then they fall off and thats it.  Shouldn't I start to see some kind of growth/courgette from where the flower was?

They are planted near lots of other flowering plants that attract a large number of pollinators so I dont understand why nothing is happening.

Iain
Friends always welcome on the plot, weeds by appointment only.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: Bush Courgettes
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 09:21:46 »
Are the flowers males or females?  The females are the ones with the tiny fruits behind them.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 09:24:24 »
Be patient. The ladies always arrive a little late ;D
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

banksy

• Half Acre
  • Southend-on-Sea, Essex
    • my blog
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 09:55:45 »
Are the flowers males or females?  The females are the ones with the tiny fruits behind them.

Oh, I have no idea... i'll take a look later on and see.

Iain

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 11:49:20 »
Yes - & outdoors? Water?

banksy

• Half Acre
  • Southend-on-Sea, Essex
    • my blog
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 14:31:09 »
Thanks everyone for responding.

Tim - yes outdoors and watered twice daily(early am, late pm) - the plants are very healthy looking apart from the obvious lack of courgettes  ;)

Digeroo - I cannot see anything significant behind the flowers apart from the stalk.

I am on holiday in a weeks time and I bet they go berzerk when I am away  :(
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 14:35:38 by banksy »

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 14:45:18 »
You could try a bit of handpollination, using a soft brush, brush gently over all teh flowers if you are unsure which is which (male to female usually), that will distribute the pollen about. But generally you can tell if there are female flowers.
Can I just add that this seems to be a lot of water! If it's not rained, mine get a good soaking only about once a week!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 14:50:11 »
I've grown one called All Green Bush this year - free seeds from some magazine or other - absolute rubbish compared to other varieties I'm growing. It's a huge plant with loads of male flowers but hardly any fruit. Had to be some reason they were giving them away! Perhaps that's the one you've got, Banksy.

banksy

• Half Acre
  • Southend-on-Sea, Essex
    • my blog
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 14:56:17 »
I've grown one called All Green Bush this year - free seeds from some magazine or other - absolute rubbish compared to other varieties I'm growing. It's a huge plant with loads of male flowers but hardly any fruit. Had to be some reason they were giving them away! Perhaps that's the one you've got, Banksy.

You know you could be right - the pack was definitely free with a magazine and that name sounds familiar(lost the packet now though - oops!)

Can I just add that this seems to be a lot of water! If it's not rained, mine get a good soaking only about once a week!

Ah, maybe I might cut it down a bit then.... although its not as much water as it sounds, just the frequency.

So if these are just crap courgettes i'll put it down to experience and look for something better next year.

Thanks!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 15:01:40 »
I have 6 plants and am picking a dozen every 5th day.  The neighbours all avoid me.  Fortunately the tortoises love them.  I am growing a yellow variety called Soleil and it is fab.  Incredibly productive, firm fruits which have been coming since the plant was in its infancy.  The Green Bush courgettes I am growing are much slower and have produced only half those of the yellow.  Soleil is on my list for next year.

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 15:21:53 »
You'll probably get loads of advice on different types now. Personally Cavili is my absolute favourite, lovely creamy taste, very quick to fruit and nice pale colour you never see in shops. Only drawback is that Thompson & Morgan are the only seed suppliers I've found that sell it, you need to grab them when they have free delivery offer.

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2011, 17:32:47 »
Got a glut of courgettes......google the recipe for courgette relish.....made some the other day and its really really good...making some more this weekend  ;D
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

banksy

• Half Acre
  • Southend-on-Sea, Essex
    • my blog
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2011, 17:42:27 »
Crikey!  T & M Courgette Soleil £1.99 for 12 seeds versus Prince Charlie's Organic brand £3.49 for 5 seeds - whats that all about????  ???  ???  ???

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2011, 18:03:11 »
Sounds as if they are all males.  This can be due to the fact that the plant is stressed.  So I would suggest feeding.  I personally would remove the male flowers to give the plant a bit more energy to produce the femiales.

The bad news is the some plants do only produce males.  Though having two would be very bad luck.

I do not think it is much use hand pollinating if you cannot find any females. 

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2011, 21:30:26 »
At least you might get some courgettes.  Only managed to get two seeds to germinate and grow out of my first lot of plantings.  Just found the marauding fox/badger has dug one up and the other is giving a great impression of a pumpkin and has started trailing.  Was given a tray of courgette plants and found the nine I planted turned into cucumbers.  Funny old year this.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2011, 23:34:16 »
You could always eat the flowers, stuffed, battered and deep fried.  :-\

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2011, 22:57:32 »
You could always eat the flowers, stuffed, battered and deep fried.  :-\

Wow, never thought of that - what would I stuff them with?

elsie

• Half Acre
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2011, 12:15:35 »
Peas, cream cheese and parsley, well seasoned. Yum  ;D

plainleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2011, 13:37:37 »
1 i find ricatta cheese works better for stuffing zucchini flowers.
2. the varieties Black Beauty , Burpee Hybrid Zucchini,, Fordhook Zucchini good choices for next season.
If want try courgette for next season

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal