Author Topic: Riots in north London  (Read 39433 times)

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
Re: Riots in north London
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2011, 20:28:50 »
Just seen an excellent post on Twitter, from someone called PoppyArmyWife:

if these bigshots want to fight & man up take them out of our city centres & send them to Afghanistan, then maybe my husband can come home.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2011, 20:42:45 »
I agree with Kev, get the army in.  Everyone I spoke to today in Enfield was so mad, that they could just get away with it.  It is not doing much good for race relations, although some are black some are white and I think they are all just out for trouble, and theft.   The police do not seem to deal with it, Argos shut, PC World (all windows smashed) and all the shops shut tonight as more trouble coming.  Let's hope the shops have numbers on the phones and TV's so at least the phones that have been stolen can be blocked.  Oh yes, I stole a mobile phone, it is so good, but I can't phone anyone.  Result. I think the police should search the houses of people that they think have stolen goods and if it is a stolen TV recycle it, that would teach them.  Should be quiet tonight as all the criminals watching TV or trying to use their mobile phones. 

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2011, 21:01:24 »
my parents live in hackney mum was coming home via mare st just as the trouble kicked off the police kept them on the bus till the idiots went past and then let them run for it which was great for my mum with a limb as she tore her Achilles tendon 10 years ago and it never knitted back together. She was in such a state when she made it walked 2 miles home :( The people rioting are not local they all just arrived from outside the area. Brothers home and the police are sending them down towards his road and dads not home yet :(

Not happy!

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2011, 21:03:05 »
No indeed not happy........hope all is well Cam.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2011, 21:06:03 »
PC world was totally cleared out, they was selling laptops  for £20 a couple of hundred yards away
The tesco's where I shop (sorry) was looted, the littlun wants to know where we are going to buy her chicken nuggets from  :(
Enfield town centre has been closed for two days while they clear up, so no wages for some
OH worked in the council building which is 100 yards fom the old bill station, so that was open
She was shocked when she came home after seeing the debris and smashed chemist opposite and other shops along the road
 :( :( :(
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2011, 22:32:33 »
all family home and safe :)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2011, 22:36:46 »
Thank goodness for that!

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2011, 22:53:41 »
I live in a quiet seaside town and my heart goes out to you guys  :(
I don't understand it -don't want to understand it but I hope all my A4 mates are safe tonight  :-*
sanity is overated

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2011, 22:59:32 »
At the risk of being banned for making sweeping racial generalisations, I'm hugely amused to hear that Turkish shopkeepers in Dalston have banded together to protect their shops and have given some of the looters a good beating with their own metal poles.

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2011, 23:04:52 »
At the risk of being banned for making sweeping racial generalisations, I'm hugely amused to hear that Turkish shopkeepers in Dalston have banded together to protect their shops and have given some of the looters a good beating with their own metal poles.

brilliant read something about that on twitter and though it was a joke :)

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2011, 23:20:18 »
Well  said Barriedale

I was born in Wood Green, lived in Palmers Green, and went out inTottenham, (does Eltons still exist)....

Froglegsl I find you insulting. I was born in London of immigrant parents and my family have never claimed benefit, never looted, my parents and myself have contributed to this country and yes my family have lived by THE RULES OF THIS COUNTRY! So you go ahead and place me in that group of looting thugs that took an opportunity to created havoc!

I'm sorry that you found me insulting,but there are immigrants(by no means all)who come into the UK just for the benefits that are not available in there own country,and then bite the hand that feeds them by contributing  nothing in return apart from trying to change this society in to the society that they fled from in the first place with there utter disrespect for the the law and there contempt for citizens of the UK,I'm not blaming multiculturalism or immigration, because I don't judge anybody by the colour of there skin or there nationality but by there character or lack of it,but I do blame the powers(who should take a leaf out of the Turkish shop-keepers book) at be for doing bugger about it.

Hope I've put my point of view across a little bit better than I did before Duke Ellington it was not my intention to insult you or anybody, if I did please accept my apologies and lets not fall out over it.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2011, 23:55:59 »
Surely that is looking at things from a negative point of view when there are thousands and thousands of immigrants who don't act like that and are great members of society. In my experience the bad apples in this world are usually strongly outnumbered by the good guys.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2011, 05:19:54 »
Trouble in Brum,Liverpool and Bristol overnight.
Ealing bad last night, armour cars deployed
 :(
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2011, 07:34:45 »
Saw some unbelievable pictures on the TV in the early hours.Young thugs able to loot and burn with no bother from the police.Saw Debenhams looted for nearly two hours before police arrived.

What a mess we are in......politicians who reluctantly return from their holidays
saying they will be dealt with severely,what a laugh.

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2011, 07:53:15 »
Sorry for anyone caught up in this repulsive business.

The police can't hope to sort out this scale of trouble without something more than shields and truncheons - they need water cannon and d*mn the bleeding heart brigade.

The underlying problem isn't poverty and deprivation it's a lack of morality, honesty and responsibility amongst a disgusting minority of people who don't give a toss about anyone else.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2011, 08:03:44 »
We watched last night whilst black, white, old ,young, women and men were looting so this has nowt to do with whatever race one is. Its just plain old robbery
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 08:34:48 by shirlton »
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

lottiedolly

• Acre
« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2011, 08:04:24 »
Just drove past the Sony Distribution Centre, the sky is black and it is like driving in the dark. I am so angry at this mindless violence and have no sympathy for the rioters. the problem is that there is no disciplin and respect  >:(

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2011, 08:17:29 »
Great Britain?????????? What message is this giving out to the rest of the world we are hosting the Olympic games next year. Keep safe everyone. I am sat watching the news shaking my head in disbelief.
I wonder if the police numbers will still be cut after this?

claybasket

• Hectare
« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2011, 09:02:11 »
The police can't handle this ,time for the army,with water canons and tear gas ,stop pissing about with the the soft handling of this ,they are going to kill some poor bugger if they haven't done it already!Come on Cameron get on with it move your ass show some back bone ,help the pepole of or Olympic city. 

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2011, 09:06:16 »
"I wonder if the police numbers will still be cut after this?"  Hmmm, that last sentance is VERY interesting........made me think anyway.

However, I was on the phone last night and at 1.30 am to my very scared 18 yr old daughter, who was sent home early from her late shift at an Oxford Street store by police who were warning of trouble heading that way. She got home on the bus ok ( the tubes were shut) to Camden where her student accommodation is, only to see a group of youths running towards her shouting. She was on the phone to me at the time and I have never felt so far away, hearing her running to get inside the gates........ :'(  She was on the phone until 1.30 am, by that time there was a fire burning nearby, but a few streets away.

I was born and bred in South London, lived there until my mid 20's and lived through the Harrods and Regents Park bombings and the Brixton riots, but when your kids are exposed to this sort of situation it seems so much worse! We have told her to come home to Derby for a bit if she feels worried this morning...she's asleep now ( at last!) and is going to text me when she wakes up....... :-\
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal