Author Topic: Rubber rings on pickling jars - help!  (Read 1806 times)

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
Rubber rings on pickling jars - help!
« on: August 06, 2011, 17:58:41 »
Just pickled beetroot for first time using new preserve jars with the metal loop fixing. Guide said to scald rubber rings in boiling water before putting on lids. How on earth do you get them on to the jar lids without burning yourself or throwing contents everywhere? Had to resort to brute strength by which time rubber cold and my fingers had been all over presumably removing any sort of sterilisation.
Help - what am I doing wrong?

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: Rubber rings on pickling jars - help!
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 19:19:26 »
Nothing really - it is really tricky.  ;)
I scald them and put them on wearing oven groves - the I pour more boiling water over.
I do wash they oven goves first - they are rubber and can be dishwashed!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 19:52:33 »
Just because you have scalded the rings doesn't mean that they necessarily have to be scalding when you put them on!  I lift them out with a fork, lay them on kitchen paper (towel) to absorb any water, and pat them dry.  Then put them on, by which time they are touchable.  I assume the reason for scalding is to make sure they are germ free.  But most people round here (SW France, where a lot of bottling is done, use them direct from the packet.  I also do that now, I must admit.  (I'm sure Jeanine will have something wise to say here?!)

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 07:26:44 »
I was thinking about putting the rings on before heating jars in oven to sterilise them but suspect that might not do them any good???
Will probably end up admitting defeat and doing like you Peanuts - you don't hear many (any?) cases of people keeling over from their own preserves!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal