Author Topic: scion wood swap  (Read 4835 times)

Twoflower

• Hectare
  • Three girls and a cat!!!
scion wood swap
« on: August 05, 2011, 21:31:25 »

I think there was talk of this last winter, but at the time it was too late. When is a good time to thing about taking cuttings and is anyone interested?
                          Twoflower

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
Re: scion wood swap
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 09:51:44 »
theres three types of cuttings - softwood cuttings, semi-ripe cuttings and hardwood cuttings.

Softwood cuttings are the fresh green shoots growing and cut in spring
Semi-ripe cuttings are the more established growth in summer
Hardwood cuttings are last years growth you cut and plant in autumn or winter to take off in spring

some plants have a preference which type of cutting works best. That the bit you need to work out.........
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

petengade

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 12:22:46 »
I thought scions were used in grafting and cuttings were  planted in prepared soil, can somebody tell me I am wrong or right please, thanks

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 14:58:32 »
scions are connected with grafting

one plant is selected for its roots and this is called the stock or rootstock. The other plant is selected for its stems, leaves, flowers, or fruits and is called the scion.
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 15:28:40 »
Here's the original thread for those interested in getting stuck in this autumn.

Twoflower

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 16:00:27 »

saw a video on you tube on how to do it, so had a go. Half took so not bad for a first go, of those two of the root stock failed and one the kids knocked over. Am planning on doing it again this year, root stock growing well didn't know if anyone else is.

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 19:47:48 »
Im definately up for it but have five apple trees and only one with a name so can describe them like very sweet yellow green eater, rosey red sweet eater, cooker looks like golden delious but isnt etc. and a couple of coxes but only stepovers oh and two pears one conference and one williams
So count me and lets keep our fingers crossed.
X sunloving

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2011, 20:02:22 »
I've already given to my trees summer chop.. ::) But I'm sure there is still some varieties that could provide some material if needs to be. I don't need any scion wood myself..but it is shame to waste 'good stuff' if somebody can make use of it.
Once you know more how you are going about with you swap and what kind of varieties you are after..let me know and I'll start putting some info together what I have available. Trees are still producing new growth although they are slowing down...but the rain has finally started landing here too..so who know what sort of jungle I have to cut down in few weeks time ::)

Twoflower

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 19:33:01 »

is nobody else interested?

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 08:37:24 »
Hello all re scion wood swap.
Im just thinking that id like to plan to give this a go in jan and wondered if anyone is still interested. I have two eaters and a bramley to share and would like some more eater material to make each branch on my big a boring seedling tree to be a new variety.

If we set a posting date then we could all be ready and waiting.
Since it can be done using buds the amount of material is really very small , twigs basically.
Also wondering if you can put pear buds into apple trees? I have conference and wiliams pears to.

x sunloving

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 08:55:59 »
I've already ordered some rootstock from Blackmoors, it should be delivered in January. I am hoping to graft a plum and a cherry.  The plum was grown from a stone and is really delicious but the tree is much too tall.  The cherry is a bit bitter but our Cats Protection lady says it is perfect for her preserves so if it works, I'll give her one.

I have never done grafting before but as someone has already mentioned, there are lots of clips on Youtube.

If anyone would like some of the plum, please ask.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 16:16:11 »
I managed to graft my Mother-in-Laws apple tree (variety unknown but similar to but not 'Keswick Codlin') this year on the third attempt, fortunately, as she (MIL) died last year. The problem was a very old tree that hadn't been well cared for and very little suitable material for grafting with.
I used a 'saddle graft' in the end and managed to get two of the grafts to take, both these were from the only two bits of a bundle of 'twigs' sent to me that were the right size and age for grafting...hard to explain to a non-gardener what you want.

I would recommend the saddle graft i found it a bit easier to do but I did nearly remove my finger in the process.

alexE

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2011, 18:10:58 »

Also wondering if you can put pear buds into apple trees? I have conference and wiliams pears to.

x sunloving

Frayed Knot ;)
you need a quince rootstock for grafting Pears :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal