Author Topic: Aldi fruit bushes - how/when to plant?  (Read 9021 times)

carlby

• Not So New ...
Re: Aldi fruit bushes - how/when to plant?
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2011, 20:38:32 »
That's really useful information about the variety of fruit, thanks.  Do you know if I need another cultivar for the blueberry?

I'm starting another post asking for advice about an edible hedge so anyone has the inclination then please have a look.
Newby to allotmenteering, along with my husband and toddler daughter.  Interested in forest gardening (harness my laziness!).

Spudbash

• Acre
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2011, 13:50:46 »
Hi carlby,

This is the best source of info on blueberry-growing that I know - it's a bit equivocal on pollinators, though..

http://www.dorset-blueberry.com/advice.html

Spudbash  :)

Growing4twins

• Half Acre
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2011, 16:45:31 »
Thanks for that link Spudbash, that answered my question on where i was going to plant my blueberry.  Looks like another plant for a container as my mom thinks my soil is alkaline.  Is there a quick home test you can do to see what type of soil you have??
Is loving how the twins are really getting into planting seeds this year!  two for the price of one!! :D http://i46.tinypic.com/zy7ww8.jpg[/img]

brown thumb

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2011, 19:34:19 »
i think there is an home recipe mix vinegar with some of your own soil cant find the thread anywhere might not be on this site some one more experienced might tell you the correct method

Stopp

• Half Acre
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2011, 19:55:56 »
Sharon T

brown thumb

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2011, 20:08:59 »
thats the one thank you for finding it again for me knew i saw it some where

carlby

• Not So New ...
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2011, 20:14:23 »
Thanks for the info.  Hmmm, I don't want to grow them in pots, yet I know my soil isn't acidic.  I thought I could just add something acidic.  Must do a bit of research (unless anyone expert is reading)
Newby to allotmenteering, along with my husband and toddler daughter.  Interested in forest gardening (harness my laziness!).

Growing4twins

• Half Acre
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2011, 20:49:37 »
Thanks for that link Sharon, I shall be doing that tomorrow :). How much does the PH vary in a garden??  My garden isnt huge but is possible that 1 side is acid & the other is alkaline?? 

Wel i have plenty of ash from the beastie bush if it is acidic, any 1 got any pine needles if it goes the other way???

Sorry for hi-jacking & changing the subject of the thread :/
Is loving how the twins are really getting into planting seeds this year!  two for the price of one!! :D http://i46.tinypic.com/zy7ww8.jpg[/img]

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal