Author Topic: The Good Allotment Survey (V0.2)  (Read 7661 times)

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: The Good Allotment Survey (V0.2)
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2011, 13:43:05 »
Personally my plot is the one place I can go to get away from surveys, other people's judgement, international standards, H&S rules, best practise, management speak etc.  I can get all that at work.

I would pay scant regard to any score they came from a survey such as this - actually I am beginning to think that the less a site scores the better it may actually be (for my tastes)...
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: The Good Allotment Survey (V0.2)
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2011, 14:03:41 »
If environmental issue are important what about points for a bus route.  We have a two hourly service within ten minutes walk.  

Can we have extra points for an annual flying display by the red arrows, and this year the itallian and saudi teams as well.   ;D

By beiing a bit more creative answering the questions eg the car park which is not on site but is within easy access, I have now managed to get to pewter.  I presume that that there is an environmental plan for the site since we are in a very environmentally sensitive position and hence the lack of sheds.  We have access to a communal shed and do not seem to get points for that.  I love the lack of sheds big time.  A lot of people have wiast height storage boxes though I like the lower ones which double up as seats.  Hope to build one.

I also think no water supply should give a site mich less than -1 it is a major issue I would suggest -5 at least.  

I also think that flooding and other drainage issues and heavy clay soil should attract a minus.   It seems very easy to attract minuses but not enough of our plusses are  counted.  

As stated before I would like points for inteaction with wildlife, fresh air, ability to affect policy, very well maintained site, lack of waiting list, well drained soil, beautiful uplifting surroundings, friendliness of site without formal meetings, access to advice, dipping butts allowed on every plot,  peace and quiet, being allowed to get on with things without too many rules including the right to fail and to be allowed to continue to do so as long as there are not too many weeds,  access to public transport, access to parking and of course well water since this does not need the expense of purification, storage and distribution and above all plus 5 for no scruffy sheds.

Enjoying an allotment for me is not about the politics.  I think that the only policy needed is consideration for other people which would automatically include care with weedkillers and control of blowing weeds.. 

I only wish more landowners/farmers could be pursuaded to release a few acres for veg/flower growing.   I also so not seem to want the things that get earn the points. 

I hereby award my site my personal gold award without reservation and also with knobs on.  

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal