Author Topic: Funky Chicken  (Read 5557 times)

loz

• Half Acre
  • See my stuff on www.arthursplacecattery.co.uk
    • Arthur's Place Cattery
Re: Funky Chicken
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2005, 10:37:31 »
Hi Kerry

She loves it!  As soon as the hairdryer goes on she stands facing it with her wings up, it must feel good!

None of them are too keen on the bathing bit tho, suffice to say when a chicken flaps its wings, it's a bit like a dog shaking itself after a bath - so you tend to end up wetter than the bird.

Loz
Horses, ragdolls, bracco italiano, Polands,Silkies, and a garden - when do I have time to eat? - www.arthursplacecattery.co.uk

Aussie Chick

• Half Acre
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2005, 00:08:21 »
Hi Eric

These 2 are actually speckledys, a hybrid from a UK breeder, they lay about 280 a year (although mine lay about 2 between them as they are four years old now).

Loz

Loz,
I am wanting to get 2 speckledy pullets around 10/12 weeks of age for my garden, I'm having trouble locating any. Do you know where I can go?
Aussie_Chick ???

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2005, 12:38:46 »
Hi loz. Lovely photos.

How does one get into showing chickens? I've always had a fancy for it but wouldn't know where to start. Have not ever seen or heard of a competition where I live. i wonder if there are any,it would be fun to go and see one. My kids would like it I bet.

No experience what so ever in the keeping of chooks but I do think they are great! I have just got a new allotment recently. Its a tip but one day I might be able to have some chickens. There are some in the next door plot and I've spent quite alot of time peering over the fence watching them instead of getting on with the tidying up.

Is there a good guide to breeds and the keeping of chickens that you could recommend. I could do some reading up couldn't I whilst  I ponder the possibilities of keeping some.

loz

• Half Acre
    • Arthur's Place Cattery
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2005, 14:05:30 »
Hi Aussie Chick, I've got the number of a nationwide supplier, where abouts are you as there may be a local supplier near.

Loz
Horses, ragdolls, bracco italiano, Polands,Silkies, and a garden - when do I have time to eat? - www.arthursplacecattery.co.uk

loz

• Half Acre
    • Arthur's Place Cattery
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2005, 14:10:24 »
Hi Heidl

There are some good shows around the country, where abous are you?

I breed silkies and polands for showing, and soon will breed light sussex for meat and eggs.

If you are interested in chickens generally, I can recommend Practical Poultry magazine, really good for all aspects (keeping, breeding and showing). I can give you their phone no if you want to order, or many newsagents now stock it.

I will update my 'look chicks' thread soon which will have more pics of the breeds I keep.

If you want to show, it really is good fun ( and the more youngsters that get involved the better)

Loz

Aussie Chick

• Half Acre
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2005, 18:02:42 »
Hi Aussie Chick, I've got the number of a nationwide supplier, where abouts are you as there may be a local supplier near.

Loz

Hi Loz,
Thanks for your reply. I'm in Milton Keynes.
AC

loz

• Half Acre
    • Arthur's Place Cattery
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2005, 22:24:05 »
Woodside poultry farm at slip end!01582 841044

They sell hybrid layers, it's where I got my first one!

Otherwise, try Bell poultry centre in Towcester 01327 354126
or contact Meadowsweet on 0845 1651 532

Good luck!

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2005, 21:49:10 »
Hi LOZ how are you long time no hear!!!. how are all the chickens doing??? ;D keeping you very busy i`m sure, any more pictures yet ??.
  Cheers Rosebud. :)

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2005, 00:43:51 »
Hi Loz!

I live in Northumberland. I've only just got myself an allotment. It's next door to a bunch/flock of very unkempt chickens and two ducks. The cockeral seems very disheveled and featherless. But I'm only an onlooker and I know this can happen to the male variety( hee hee "variety") of many birds after breeding season. Don't know if it applies to chooks?!

My 7 year old keeps asking if we can have chickens. I think he'd be made up if we could.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal