Author Topic: Was it Greenfly and did I do right?  (Read 2127 times)

carosanto

• Half Acre
Was it Greenfly and did I do right?
« on: July 23, 2011, 21:05:16 »
Hallo Chilli Lovers,

have several thriving pots of Habaneros grown indoors.  I noticed yesterday that one of them had hundreds of little yellow 'eggs' on the underleaves, so I gave it firstly a soapy wash, then rubbed off any eggy residue, then scraped off the topsoil and replaced it, in case of lurkers.

I then sprayed with ordinary water.  The plant is not yet fully recovered, some of the leaves look a bit sorry for themselves, but there is no sign of any adult pest there.  Have I done right, and was this an incipient greenfly invasion that I nipped in the bud?

Otherwise what other pests do chillis have that these eggs might have been from?

Any help would be most appreciated.  I am so proud of my plants, they are absolutely gorgeous, and I don't want them decimated by some chompimg nibbling beastie!

Regards, Caro
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got!

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Was it Greenfly and did I do right?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 21:31:17 »
Well...you cannot really see greenfly eggs with bare eyes...so I don't know what eggs you might have washed off..
Did you actually see any adult greenfly on them?
Maybe you did have greenfly and those eggs were ladybird eggs..they are yellow..if the adult ladybird beetles did chomp of all the adult greenfly and left the next generation to clear off on coming new 'food'... :-\
Just one possibility..
But what ever they were..you've done well..better safe than sorry.. ;)
As for other pests..not that many..red spider mite and greenfly=aphids are the most common ones.
All you can do now is to keep eye on the situation and if you see any new 'hatchlings'..rub your finger over them to get rid..

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
Re: Was it Greenfly and did I do right?
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 21:42:20 »
They sound like cabbage white butterfly eggs.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal