Author Topic: Wilkinson's cloches  (Read 3370 times)

Robert_S

• Not So New ...
Wilkinson's cloches
« on: July 22, 2011, 16:21:12 »
Hi, first post on this site, hope it's in the right section!

I was wondering if anyone has used the wilkinson's cloches...they seem decent value at a fiver, and I daresay will work better than anything I can knock up...any views welcome! They come in fleece or polythene flavours.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 16:27:01 by Robert_S »

Bill Door

• Acre
  • Calne Wilts The builders put down clayish soil
Re: Wilkinson's cloches
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 12:37:20 »
Welcome Robert hope you enjoy the site.

I have not tried the new cloches and I agree that they are good value as i could not do anything as well.  However, i would say that i think the fleece type might not stand up to too much rough handling or a lot of wind.

regards

Bill

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 13:25:35 »
"Wilkinsons Cloche".............sounds like some sort of obscure skin disease...............
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 17:57:55 »
They're the same as the ones I've got from Lidl, very flimsy fleece but the hoops will be reuseable...

chrisc

Russell

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 19:53:09 »
I bought one of each sort - fleece, poly and net but I paid twice as much as you, perhaps you got them reduced.
I used the fleece and poly ones to bring along some early calabrese, and they worked OK but the fleece worked better.
The net ones keep the wood pigeons off my lettuce very successfully so far.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 08:32:17 »
Hi, I have bought the Wilkinsons cloches and like everyone says they are good to use with netting, though are not very strong, and after a few years tend to snap. On our site, the most popular way to net your crops now is to use blue rubber water pipe hose, which are bendable. You can buy different lengths and cut them yourself into whatever size you want. They are strong and I would think will last forever, and you won't need as many under your net. You can buy them from B&Q and other building firms, and someone said you can order them over the internet. Think they are not cheap but you will get your moneys worth in time. Hope this is helpful, and welcome to the boards.   :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Robert_S

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 11:44:03 »
Thanks for the replies, and the welcome.  ;D

I got 4 in the end, 2 polythene and 2 fleece, at a fiver each they didn't seem like bad value, and i had some Love2shop vouchers to spend anyway. I haven't actually used them yet, but will get a few things growing under there in the next few months. I've got some blue piping as well, which I will put to good use for brassica netting and large cloches when I get some more wood to make a frame up for them.

delboy

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 09:49:14 »
Screwfix were selling them for £4.99 for a 5m run
What if the hokey cokey is what it's all about?

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 09:54:38 »
The hoops are well worth the money. We bought two a couple of years back and have still got the polythene unused.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 10:59:41 »
I use the blue piping without a base, I have whittled some sticks down to fit in the ends and with pointed ends they sitck down into the soil and it seems to hold them up ok.

99p should also have quite good ones, I just wish I could spend another 99p for a couple of ends.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal