Author Topic: anyone elses outdoor squash not flowered yet?  (Read 6919 times)

RenishawPhil

• Hectare
    • Parking Ticket Appeals Service
anyone elses outdoor squash not flowered yet?
« on: July 21, 2011, 21:35:34 »
Am getting worried its going to be to late. My pumpkins have started flowering now(the female ones). So have been fertlising them with our courgette which are going mad. Leaving a few to go massive in.order to make marrow curd. Our onions are massive to.

What a wierd year!

Hector

• Hectare
Re: anyone elses outdoor squash not flowered yet?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 21:52:28 »
Mine haven't :(
Jackie

picman

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 21:59:10 »
I have both 'Barbara' and 'Avalon' squashes with flowers and fruit forming I got them in early under fleece .

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 22:01:56 »
Burgess butterball has but lots of leaf and no flowers on hunter

RenishawPhil

• Hectare
    • Parking Ticket Appeals Service
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 22:08:19 »
I was about 4 weeks getting them in. If they do anything I suppose I can always cover them if it gets late in season with polythene to make a mini polytunnel

Ophi

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 22:48:41 »
I have courgettes but no flowers on the squash as yet.  They are running nicely though.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 23:02:21 »
No flowers on my butternut squash yet either, a few on the pumpkins but they are still bulking up their foliage more than anything..... ::)
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 23:27:16 »
suspect mine have had it i have flowers and no leaves !!

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 01:29:00 »
mine are the same, the squash are all leaf and no flowers im not expecting great things from them this year but still hope they will prove me wrong.
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 06:54:55 »
The squash that we grew amongst our fruit trees last year that did so well are still the same as they were when they went in over a month ago.They all had abucket of muck under them.
The bon bon that I grew out in the open is moving and all the squash I put in at Walsall are starting to move.Although that is more sheltered.
I'm wondering if the weather has anything to do with it.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

lottiedolly

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 09:00:45 »
my courgettes are romping away but my winter squash is looking all forlorn and trying to put out a flower and i am not holding out on getting any crop this year. i am putting it down to the odd weather this year  :'(

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 09:11:07 »
Only male flowers here.. >:( Once we get spell of warmer weather..IF..female flowers should start appear..we are bit more delicate for the cooler temperatures.. ;D..aren't we girls? ;)

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2011, 09:19:05 »
Yeah it's been cold and wet here - the pumpkins flowered early so I already have loads of pumpkins growing! But the courgettes have been really slow, only just now flowering, I have had 3 courgettes so far... from 2 plants.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2011, 09:27:22 »
My squash plants are the same as Cambourne's, flowers but no leaves!

I have two Cavali courgette plants that are producing fruit but nothing yet from my yellow courgettes.

I blame the weather this year.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2011, 09:31:31 »
weathers been so weird my courgettes failed to germinate at all as did a few other people i know in fact there is only one person i know with any courgettes in the area and they have just one plant...

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2011, 09:50:28 »
Everything I have planted - courgettes, summer and winter squashes - has been flowering and fruiting for several weeks except butternuts that just look miserable.

A runaway success, literally, is Marina di chioggia. It's all over the place and has set several fruits, one the size of a (smallish) football already. If  it tastes as good as it looks, it  will be my winter squash of choice in  the future. Sorry to boast, but courgetty-squashy things have worked  well  this year so far.

I germinate my cucurbit seeds before putting them out (damp cloth etc). I am just too dispirited if I sow seeds that never appear!

http://boldosthoughtsonfood.blogspot.com/2008/10/marina-di-chioggia.html

Morris

• Acre
  • This is Morris! North Hampshire
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2011, 10:16:35 »
That's interesting about the Marina, I 'd have thought it wouldn't like a cold wet summer but just goes to show until you experiment you never know.

My courgettes have been excellent, they got out early when it was hot (remember then?). Masses since early June.

Summer squash, enormous plants, nothing off Bennings Green tint, Zephyr just a few small ones.

Winter squash: Festival have suddenly produced lots of female flowers and I am hoping for a good set. There is one pink banana swelling but still quite small. Crown Prince hasn't made many female flowers and I haven't managed to get any to set yet because of the heavy rain spoiling the boys.

Fingers crossed for a long, hot autumn, is all I can say.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2011, 13:55:43 »
Of 8 various squash plants I have one fruit on a bush buttercup which is maturing - otherwise dozens of non-pollinated fruit which drop off due to lack of male flowers.

[attachment=1]

Cavilli and climbing courgette both prolific but only one frugosa so far.

Tricia

picman

• Acre
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2011, 17:07:01 »
Found in the Squash jungle !

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2011, 17:27:13 »
Nice one Picman  :)

I'm picking lots of courgettes, the summer squash ar eproducing now, but the winter squash are a mixed bag - some have finally started to put on some good growth, a few have flowers and teeny squash, others are still debating life.  ::)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal