Author Topic: Indoor or outdoor?  (Read 2893 times)

Bun

• Half Acre
Indoor or outdoor?
« on: January 31, 2005, 16:26:19 »
As advised, I went to Wilkos today &  got some good bargins. Thanks for the tip.
I have a question about sowing though. On several of the seeds I bought in regards to sowing dates it says  "Indoors not applicable"  I would rather sew them in the greenhouse in pots first, to save the slugs from getting to them as soon as they show a bit of green.  Can I do this anyway? They are Onions, Parsnips, Cabbage & Swede.

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
Re: Indoor or outdoor?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2005, 16:35:04 »
As advised, I went to Wilkos today &  got some good bargins. Thanks for the tip.
I have a question about sowing though. On several of the seeds I bought in regards to sowing dates it says  "Indoors not applicable"  I would rather sew them in the greenhouse in pots first, to save the slugs from getting to them as soon as they show a bit of green.  Can I do this anyway? They are Onions, Parsnips, Cabbage & Swede.

Onions, yes not a problem in pots or trays.

Parsnips, no I would not, any interferance with the tap root at transplanting could cause problems or forking of the root.

Cabbage, fine in pots and easy to transplant when large enough.

Swede, I would not grow in pots, most root crops do not like to be moved around.

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

Bun

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2005, 17:17:34 »
OK Thanks Jerry.  :-*

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2005, 18:05:41 »
answered already :)

Stephan

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2005, 13:13:38 »
Hi Sanders.
Didn't I read in a earlier thread that it might be possible to sow parsnips in newspaper pots and later plant them out pots and all? Do you think the taproot will get too long too soon to be starting them of in paper pots? I would like to know since this will be the very first time for me growing parsnips and I want to do it right.
I read that germination may be slow and troublesome so I thought if I sow them under controlled conditions at home I may have a better chance of success.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2005, 13:16:08 »
Ina - I'm going to try mine in loo rolls this year. Had zero success with direct sown last year (in the ground and in large pots mixed with sand). I love parsnips. I must grow them.
gone to pot :D

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2005, 14:11:07 »
Hi Sanders.
Didn't I read in a earlier thread that it might be possible to sow parsnips in newspaper pots and later plant them out pots and all? Do you think the taproot will get too long too soon to be starting them of in paper pots? I would like to know since this will be the very first time for me growing parsnips and I want to do it right.
I read that germination may be slow and troublesome so I thought if I sow them under controlled conditions at home I may have a better chance of success.

Hi Ina

yes, you can use the loo roll method, though I have never done it myself. My usual practise with parsnips is to use fresh seed, no more than a year old.

This is sown in drills that I have made with a hoe and filled with compost. Sow thinly and cover with more compost. Water well and keep just moist. Thin when required.

Last year I used this method for 2 rows and normal soil drills for 3 rows. Sown in the same week the rows in compost germinated within 10 days where as the ones in the soil took oveer 3 weeks.

I believe the compost gives the seeds a better environment to start with and also warms up faster than soil.

The final advantage was during thining, very easy in the compost rows and hardly any disturbance of neighbouring seedlings.

At harvest the compost drill sown roots were large and much starighter.

Hope that helps

Jerry

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2005, 14:24:20 »
Thank you Sanders.
I will do your compost drills, I guess I'll wait till the ground warms up a bit?
I will not use toilet rolls hehehe, I think the ones in Holland are too sturdy, they take way too long to rot, that's why I think I'll sow some in extra long paper pots at home in addition to the ones in the lottie. Double chance I'll have success.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2005, 15:53:39 »
Jerry - when did you sow them? (I am right in remembering that you're on clay too?)

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2005, 16:21:45 »
Jerry - when did you sow them? (I am right in remembering that you're on clay too?)

Yes, on clay.

I do not sow them until April at the earliest. I also normally sow in sucession, a row at a time with a week or 2 between sowing.

I have also done late sowings after broadbeans.

I do not like the huge parsnips, prefering them to be smaller. About 3 inches across at the crown is ideal. I think I have settled on the varieties Gladiator and tender & True as the best for me now as well.

Jerry

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2005, 16:23:18 »
thanks Jerry - that is good news.

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2005, 18:10:39 »
You can definitely grow swede from an indoor sowing, I grew 2 crops last year ( only have a couple left in store now ) I used small cells, 3 seeds in each thinned to 1 in each cell, planted on allotment when 4 or 5 leaves have formed. These were my best swedes ever, large with no woodiness at all, the variety was Virtue, highly recommended :P

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2005, 22:58:47 »
My swedes were a total failure from direct sowing.  If you say they can start in pots, in pots mine will start!  ;D Thanks Merry T.

Bun

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2005, 10:13:05 »
Is it a good idea to start them off in Peat Pots?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal