Author Topic: greenpeace and glyphosate  (Read 1576 times)

fi

• Half Acre
greenpeace and glyphosate
« on: July 18, 2011, 11:32:32 »
  Interesting news about Greenpeace becoming involved in the glyphosate (Monsanto) debate and the links with miscarriages, parkinsons and birth defects. plus the entanglement of glyphosate with GM crops. Anyone interested check out the ecologist wesite.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
Re: greenpeace and glyphosate
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 12:05:56 »
The trouble is they don't say what the new analysis is & whether they have chosen to look at the experiments that give them the result they want, or whether it is a true Meta-Analysis. If, for example, roundup has no effect, then you still wouldn't expect any experiments on birth defects to show a zero result. Half will show an increase, half will show a decrease and it's easy to pick & choose according to your agenda. I have no doubt at all that Monsanto would try to pick ones that don't show a positive effect, but I also know that a group called "GM Freeze" might have their own agenda too.

Don't get me wrong - I don't trust Monsanto one little bit, but GM has tremendous capacity to feed a huge amount of people and in fact (say, with GM spuds being immune to blight) to reduce the damage to the environment caused by fungicides or other chemicals.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 18:44:32 »
I feel the same Ollie.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

fi

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 22:06:00 »
I understand what you are both saying said that we need some facts and figures to back up the claims. i think for greenpeace to making these claims there must be some hard proof, or they wouldn't waste their time or money, plus the dangers of litigation.

there is research out there where independent research has been carried out which shows links with nonhodgkins lymphoma and defects in frog embryos. (which i have read via the ecologist site.) also interesting is Carrasco's report from Argentina.

in 2008 a study in east Africa found that agro-ecology (genetic diversity, bio diversity and small scale farming) produced higher yields of food. this is a United Nations study but obviously does not fit in with the global money side of control so we don't hear too much about that.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 23:26:45 »
Could you please post some links Fi?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal