Author Topic: Onions and potatoes......... continuing Soap opera  (Read 720 times)

fitzsie

• Acre
Onions and potatoes......... continuing Soap opera
« on: July 14, 2011, 15:26:46 »
I planted a few rows of Red Baron which did seem to be growing well.  As they grew the stalks bent over and have ended up lying on the ground. Some of the stalks have also broken off. I now seem to have lost the onions. When the stalks broke off did the onion stop growing? Will I still have any onions in the ground. I managed to find a couple but they seem rather small - too small for picking yet.

On top of this my potatoes are looking like the Day of the Triffids!!  I didn't realise how shady the veg plot was in the mornings (neighbours trees) and the potatoes have grown towards the lighter area and Oh have they grown! I must have some stalks about 4 feet long and because they are so long & heavy have leaned (also) onto the ground. My partner reckons they they have spent so much into growing on top that I will have nothing under ground.  What is everyones opinion?   As it is my first year at growing veg I just don't know how the veg is really doing....

On a good note the Leaf minor on my brussels hasn't affected my brussel growth and I have lots of tomatoes in my hanging basket. Success at something !!!!
Bring back Spotty Dog........

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Onions and potatoes......... continuing Soap opera
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 16:02:13 »
Don't worry about the long tops..if there is ample moisture in ground the crop is not effected..actually opposite...you'll be having bumper crop..so take your watering cans out and give them good drink, and when you think you've got fins growing from the amount of water you've used..do another round..you'll be suprised how much water potatoes use.
As for onion..if the tops break off from the neck..thats it..they might make some more growth..but I would dig what ever is there up and use them first.
Well done you...there you see ...you can grow veg..next year you are already that bit of wiser and you can do it all again with hopefully even better results.. ;)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal