Author Topic: Tomatoes two down.  (Read 1316 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Tomatoes two down.
« on: July 13, 2011, 11:39:16 »
Two of my tomato plants have totally died.  There is a patch of very sick looking potatoes just up wind, though other tomato plants are ok, though one more is looking iffy.  Is anyone else suffering from blight yet?  IT has been very dry here expect one day so I  am very surpirsed to loose them.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: Tomatoes two down.
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 12:30:26 »
Are you sure it is blight?  I would say that it is still early for blight - what do they look like?
I have lost one Tom so far but that is down to a large ants nest..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 13:02:21 »
Are you sure it is blight?  I would say that it is still early for blight - what do they look like?
I have lost one Tom so far but that is down to a large ants nest..

We've not seen blight yet either.  In our case our mystery killer is a mole, which destroys occasional tap roots in search of worms.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 18:04:58 »
They came out of their pots a couple weeks ago and planted out.  Well fed, well water looking fine with a couple of tomatoes already set..  Now they are now just leaves all borwn and strivelled up and one I planted several weeks earlier  which is huge is going.  The leaves are turning brown.  Right next to about twelve other tom plants which are still fine though different varieties.  

No idea what it is,     No black stems, no major ant issues.  Well hardened off.    No contamination on that bed. Certainly no sign of a mole.  Just sudden death syndrome.

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 18:58:57 »
We have some spuds with blight on our site in Kent :'(

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 21:05:54 »
Has anyone been out with weed killer? Tomatoes are particularly sensitive to it even a drift of spray gets them Some get over it some dont. I've even had trouble when the council spray the roadside weeds at the side of the house with tomatoes in back garden, and I've done it myself on paths that seem miles away from the tomatoes. Mind you weedkiller usually makes the leaves go frizzy but it can bleach everything out as well. Might not be applicable in your case but worth a think..

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 21:11:39 »
Bad luck digeroo. Did you rescue any tomatoes from them?

I lost 6 tomato plants to blight last month  :'( and I destroyed them in the hope of saving the unaffected 6 further down the garden. Those are now showing early signs of blight. I'm just hoping to get the tomatoes to ripen on them before they croak.

Sadly July is not early in my experience, but June certainly was!   :(

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal