Author Topic: Brussell Sprouts  (Read 1047 times)

dave83

• Not So New ...
Brussell Sprouts
« on: July 11, 2011, 13:34:37 »
Hi all,

I was wondering if it were possible to get a couple of Brussels Sprout plants from somewhere. I believe that we are too late now to start from seed. I would like to get some grown for Christmas and any spare plants would be great. My allotment is in Skipton, however we are (my friend helps with the allotment) able to get to either Wigan (St Helens), Newcastle or Central Leeds, thanks to family ties.

If anyone could spare any plants that would be great and I would be ever indebted to you.

Thanks

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Brussell Sprouts
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 15:07:49 »
Unless somebody would have some large and established plants in pots..there is little chance to get brussels now for christmas...far too late for that...neither transplanting from one ground to another will work. Too much stress for the plants and they will sulk for long while before getting their feet in and starting to grow again.
I've got christmas cropping variety growing and those are now about 1 1/2 ft tall and almost as wide...so substantial plants.
Sorry to say..but I think you just have to put your christmast brussels for next years wish list..

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 17:23:39 »
Sorry, just too late, planted the last of the red sprouts 2 days ago, mind you, they're for after Christmas

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 18:22:16 »
We've used these people for vegetable plants, and they're pretty good:

http://www.vegetableplantsdirect.co.uk/ourshop/cat_135218-Brussels-Sprouts.html

They reckon to be able to supply Brussels plants right up until October.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 10:32:13 »
Mmmm I am inclined to agree with Goodlife - they will be sprouting in late winter if you plant now. Mine were sown weeks ago and are already planted out and over a foot and a half tall!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Kleftiwallah

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 11:33:42 »

Go ahead.  .  .  that is if you want to import club root into your ground !    Cheers,   Tony.
" I may be growing old, but I refuse to grow up !"

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 20:53:51 »
There's nothing wrong with late Brussels! If you like them, it might be worth sowing a succession.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal