Author Topic: What Next?  (Read 923 times)

bruno

• Not So New ...
What Next?
« on: July 11, 2011, 11:33:14 »
Lifting first earlies and also still have an area not yet planted this year. Any suggestions of what could be sown / planted now (Derby area).

Regards,

Bruno

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: What Next?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 11:59:52 »
Hi Bruno...

I'm in Derby and am just about to start lifting potatoes.
Leeks if they aren't already in the ground... and Autum/Winter onion sets/ Garlic
or any of the chinese brassicas/mustards
or Winter Radish and other over Winter Brassicas.. Wallflower. It's not to late to sow Swede.
Carrots, Autumn King under fleece will make a good size by the middle of October..
Green Manures...

As we grow over 30kg of seed potatoes each year we have a lot of ground to fill in July/August..  :)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 12:42:01 »
I'm not far neither and just about sow some seeds to follow my taties. I'm going sow some swedes, turpnips, kohlrabi, winter radishes,,and some summer ones too, some lettuce, pak choi, chard and bit later on some spinach (is too warm and dry for that now).
The soil for brassicas are going to get sprinkling of lime and good watering over few days before planting module grown plants and bit of blood,fish and bone meal...the soil is in need of TLC after potato crop.. ;)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 13:52:20 »
Winter cabbage, spring greens.  I've just sown some Nantes carrots, I like some small spring type ones in the autumn.  Beetroot, they do not get very big though.  But I like them small.   

I still also have some sprouts and brocoli plands waiting for a home which were sown some time ago.  Maybe you need a space to plant out strawberry runners though not recommended to follow the spuds.   

zigzig

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 23:58:52 »
Cabbages (brassicas) normally follow spuds.

Savoy etc

They are best sown at the end of May in either a seed bed or in pots then planted on into individual plant pots.

When the spuds are lifted the late cabbages can take their place for autumn or even winter greens.

It can take practise to get seasonal growing worthwhile but a good vegetable patch should be providing fresh vegetables all  year round

W & K
xx

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal