Author Topic: Long lasting effects of aminopyralid  (Read 2493 times)

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
Long lasting effects of aminopyralid
« on: July 01, 2011, 18:34:07 »
Our allotments were badly affected two years ago. This year I planted potatoes on a bed that had the aminopyralid contaminated manure two years ago and has been well dug over several times since. There was no sign of the curly leaves this year, but it is now obvious that there is still a residual effect. The shaws are much smaller and stunted  than on an adjacent bed which had none of the contaminated manure. The yield will be well down.
Checked with another plotter who has noticed the same effect. The moral is it can take up to three years cultivation to hopefully eliminate the aminopyralid.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: Long lasting effects of aminopyralid
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 20:25:58 »
I think the effects are more noticeable when it is dry.  For us the effects two years ago wore off quite quickly but last years effects and still lingering.  The guy on the next door plot to me has a devasting problem with runner beans caused by comtaminated compost made from plants contaminated last year in fact the effect are worse than the orginal.

I have a new rotation system.  I sweet corn, 2 Brassicas, 3 Courgettes, 4 Potatoes and then perhaps beans.  One day I hope to get back to three sisters.

Amazingrotavator(Derby)

• Half Acre
  • My best mate
    • www.mandjderbygardens.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 16:02:05 »
I had it last year, lost everything except the brassica's.(We started to look like cabbages and brussels).We emptied all beds and rotavatored with the big rotavator. At the end of every month we went over with the small tiller really breaking the soil down to a fine tilth. Autumn, we spread mushroom compost over the whole lot and left it over winter. Spring, out comes the big un again and compost dug in. First thing to get planted was broad beans as a tester. Brilliant!! Then everything went in. We have had one of the best cropping years. We will not touch manure again. Mushroom compost is the way to go along with growmore or similar.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 01:50:27 »
I've been badly caught this year, at least half my spuds are badly stunted by it and all my maincrop drying beans too... thankfully bumper year for broadies will alleviate that, but the spud issue is a pain, live in hope that the unnaffected maincrops see me through.
Problem seems to be from a few batches dating to when the place I get my manure from shifted fields... there are two liveries sharing a farm, the folks I deal with don't use chemicals, don't think the same is true of the other one and as they had a big shuffle of fields in the early spring I think I've got manure that was sprayed for ragwort....

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 22:11:27 »
Hi all,

I was just reading George Mobiots blog in the Guardian on this subject ....The link should work ---

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/georgemonbiot/2011/jul/15/vegetables-disease-aminopyralid-pesticide

I don`t have this problem I cannot afford to pay for Horse muck , or transport if it were free but I have seen the effect
caused by bagged compost.

Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal