Author Topic: Used Growbags Etc.  (Read 1534 times)

Alhambra

• Not So New ...
Used Growbags Etc.
« on: July 11, 2011, 10:02:31 »
I grow my tomatoes in decent quality growbags in a small greenhouse and early potatoes in containers, using a commercial substrate, and the time is approaching where I need to get rid of the used compost.   

Should/could I: -

1.  Spread it about on the allotment and then dig it in?

2.  Put it in the composter?

3.  Take it to the council tip?

4.  Do something else with it, polite responses please?

Thanks

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
Re: Used Growbags Etc.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 10:05:04 »
Spread it on the allotment, tomatoes adn potatoes are the same family so don't put it where you might grow them next year but if you always grow them in containers then that won't be a problem. 

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 11:43:52 »
options 1 and 2 are equally as good.
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 16:07:04 »
3) is out of the question - throwing away hard-won fertility and potential soil improver is a sin - especially if it contains precious peat.

Don't forget it will rot or burn into greenhouse gas, but if you grow stuff on it, the result will be less CO2 not more.

4a) Preferably, freecycle it to someone who can use it.

4b) Put it in the green waste bin for council composting - it's 100x LESS dangerous than grass cuttings from a manicured (ie. poisoned) lawn.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

brown thumb

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 14:30:38 »
spread it on the allotment and let the worms dig it in   ;D

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 14:44:08 »
If your soil is on the clay side then i would put the growbags on it and turn it over.
If your soil is not in need of it then it could be riddled and stored to make up a mix for carrots.
If they are no longer have anything growing in them they could be revitalized with well rotten manure and Fish Blood and Bone and used to grow potatoes in for Xmas.
Whatever you choose dont waist it
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

brown thumb

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 14:58:52 »
i know this is a thread about grow bags  but when would you plant potatoes for xmas as i fancy doing it this year  and any tips i have 3 estimi not sure of the spelling now potatoes i saved from a bought bag of spuds which started chitting (as i started using own newies)i know not its not recommended to save from shop bought seeds but hey ho most of us do it :-X

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal