Author Topic: Advice needed.  (Read 2755 times)

MOSSY1947

• Not So New ...
Advice needed.
« on: July 05, 2011, 13:03:19 »
I have an allotment up in the Castlereagh Hills in Belfast. I am new to this hobby but it is something I have always wanted to do, so with retirement, I decided to take it up. My problem is..... I am inundated with weeds and no matter how often I clear them they seem to be back in a day or so. Also flocks of wood pigeons are in abundance.  A friend in the construction industry gave me a load of black polythene membrane and also stacks of cuttings of one inch polypropylene underground water pipe.

If I put the membrane under the raised beds with holes to put plants, veg etc. in and make a cloche with the pipe and cover it with debris netting would that help solve my problem. I am told that the membrane will only encourage insects etc seeking warmth and dampness.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mossy

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Advice needed.
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 13:25:48 »
All of that is correct... but it will get better if you persevere...  :)

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 13:37:50 »
^^ yes, exactly.

Welcome to the forum and to the real world of growing stuff.

You need to recognise that everything you've seen on TV is highly idealised and in reality it is a never ending battle with weeds.

I have seen only a few people planting stuff though black plastic but I would not recommend it.  You get slug colonies and watering becomes a problem.  Just keep tackling the weeds and keep going.  A few weeds doesn't necessarily mean your crops will be rubbish.

And yes, netting everything protects from our common enemy the woodpigeon.  That is just how it is these days.  My Dad never netted anything but these days if you drive past any allotment site, it is all debris netting.

But even so, allotmenteering is good stuff once you get the kit and sounds as if you already have it.  Happy times ahead :-)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 13:46:34 by DenbyVisitor »

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 17:39:58 »
It's hard going at first. Planting through membrane does work though it's not idea. Put in something tough, and see what sort of crop you get. Remember it can only get better.

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 18:04:20 »
If it's any consolation all the weeds probably mean you have lovely fertile soil. :D

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 18:12:47 »
I'm afraid its a constant battle against the pests and weeds. Thats what makes having an allotment and  growing stuff such a challenge. There is no magic wand you can wave its a case of hoe hoe hoe
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

MOSSY1947

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 18:18:34 »
When you say there is no magic wand ....... what about the weed wand??? I have seen them advertised but cant see much difference between one of these and a blow torch.

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 18:41:15 »
When you say there is no magic wand ....... what about the weed wand??? I have seen them advertised but cant see much difference between one of these and a blow torch.

Fine for a few troublesome weeds on your path or similar but not a good option for a large veggie plot.....its would cost you a fortune in gas cannisters.

Im afraid there is no substitute for the hoe.Even if you can only manage an hour a day weeding you will soon get on top.Weeds dont take long to "set seed" so the the sooner you get at them the better!
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 20:29:02 »
Sad news is that there is propably millions of weed seeds in a soil waiting the right conditions for germination..and as you disturb the soil..each time you bring new lot on surface to germinate..
Once you clear area..try cover the area with mulch..grass clippings..compost..leaves..even wet paper will do..it will cut the light out and reduce germination of new seeds and keep soil moist underneath..thus less watering.

brown thumb

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 21:48:46 »
i wouldn't use the black plastic under raised beds it will limit you in future with your crops eg long roots it would do you more good to use it to cover any areas to help kill  weeds until you dig a piece a bed size  and thats the only way to go until you get the weeds to a manageable state, just take your time and don't over do the digging no allotment will  be 100 per cent weed free

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 22:07:49 »
Welcome to the wonderful world of hard work and a sense of achievement :)

If your going to do the raised beds (as i did) then i can only suggest that you cover your paths and concentrate on your beds like mini war zones.

Most weeds will react to something like roundup so if you build your raised beds to say 1 level of wood and dig over each bed removing what weeds you can or spraying. Then rather than covering with weed membrane look at something like lasagne method which should smother any new weeds as you build your levels up. My raised beds were about a foot high and i was able to smother out most of the weeds this way. 

MOSSY1947

• Not So New ...
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2011, 13:48:23 »
Thanks folks, your  helpful advice much appreciated.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2011, 19:59:40 »
There is a substitute for the hoe. Keep everything covered in a few inches of organic mulch, so the weeds don't get a chance to get started.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal