Author Topic: Poor Spud Harvest  (Read 1290 times)

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
Poor Spud Harvest
« on: July 01, 2011, 11:56:45 »
Dug up some potatoes today.  Thought I was digging up rocket but must have planted Cara there by mistake and they were all tiny as would be expected at this time of year.

So I worked out where my Rocket were and only got four spuds from one plant.   :o   Not the return that I experienced last year with My Edzels or Kondors.  Oh well

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Poor Spud Harvest
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 12:02:33 »
Hmm..lack of water propably.. :-\
I gave my plant really good soaking last week and I'm going give them couple of more weeks some watery TLC before having even a taste yet... ::)
I hope they tasted nice...

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 12:26:50 »
To be honest I am not an avid potato eater and am sure I would notice the difference (I roasted them and they were okay).

I am however, looking forward to my Pink Fur Apples potatos.  I am sure eaten as salad potatoes I will be able to detect a difference

My patch was larger this year and I didnt water as much as last year.  Guess I needed to experience a small harvest to appreciate the need for water. 
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 12:28:47 by Dandytown »

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 13:59:55 »
I planted one Anya potato in a Morrisons flower bucket and got enough potatoes for 4 servings. They seem to be ready early and they were very nice. I wish I had planted up more buckets as we do not eat alot of potatoes in this house and the bucket seems small enough portions at any given time.
Would Anya be suitable as a Christmas potato?

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 15:17:02 »
Duke they sell them in Sainsbury's at Christmas so I should think so. I always buy some for Christmas. Only I like them though. OH thinks they need peeling, no way ;) ;D.

Amazingrotavator(Derby)

• Half Acre
  • My best mate
    • www.mandjderbygardens.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 15:19:23 »
I planted one Anya potato in a Morrisons flower bucket and got enough potatoes for 4 servings. They seem to be ready early and they were very nice. I wish I had planted up more buckets as we do not eat alot of potatoes in this house and the bucket seems small enough portions at any given time.
Would Anya be suitable as a Christmas potato?

Duke
I ordered my Christmas seed spuds from D.T.Brown yesterday. Carlingford,Maris peer,Orla and Nicola ready for planting at the end of this month.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal