Author Topic: Meadowsweet wine (not cordial).  (Read 5191 times)

Kleftiwallah

• Acre
Meadowsweet wine (not cordial).
« on: June 28, 2011, 18:42:50 »
Anyone got any thoughts on Meadowsweet wine?  ::) The plants along the canal are looking good.   Cheers,    Tony.
" I may be growing old, but I refuse to grow up !"

Uncle_Filthster

• Half Acre
Re: Meadowsweet wine (not cordial).
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 01:08:14 »
Never tried making it but meadowsweet has such a lovely honey like smell.  Could be worth a shot and may be a nice summery dessert type wine using a good white grape juice and a good yeast.  Chardonnay types may work well.

I've had ale with meadowsweet in and they were prety good!

Kleftiwallah

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 11:37:44 »

Found a recipe in a abook about "Nature's Harvest.   It's on the go as I type.   Took a while to gather 7 pints of flower heads and about as long to get rid of the '6 legged protein'  :o  !    Cheers,   Tony.
" I may be growing old, but I refuse to grow up !"

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 21:07:53 »
Good luck to you for trying.

I think that years ago when we (the common riff raff) had no idea what proper WINE tasted like we made an alcoholic brew from anything, called it wine and got happily merry on it.

Tastes have matured. To add enough supplements, cleaners and with the cost of equipment, the space it takes up. The stink it makes and the noise of the demijohn glugging for weeks.

Most people have given up bothering and are out there buying three bottles for a tenner.

What is worth making is what they used to call 'fruit cordials'

Fruit sugar and a reasonably good quality vodka  gin or white rum. (sloe gin is one example).

soft fruits such as strawberries actually make an excellent liquor.

Blackcurrant is another excellent cordial.

Apples and pears, well they are great and it is up to you, if you decide to brew something, what you call it but I think wine should be grape juice.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal