Author Topic: At last an egg!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 1719 times)

Ragdoll Lady

• Half Acre
At last an egg!!!!!!!!!!!!
« on: June 28, 2011, 12:05:04 »
Scarlett our Bovans Goldline surprised us all by laying her first egg some time yesterday evening. She has been looking like she was likely to lay for over a week. She is 25 weeks old. It is a typical first egg darkish brown one side and light brown on the other and a little small but purfectly shaped. Abbey lays very light brown eggs so it will be nice to have a contrast and when Gemima finally lays (any time now I hope) her eggs should be speckled. The two young sklylines could lay blue,green,coral or pink eggs but at 19  weeks we have a way to go yet. But such joy to see that little egg in the hen house at 5am when i opened the pop hole door this morning!!!! Wonderful eh how something so small can fill you with joy.!

How is everyone keeping their hens cool in this heatwave? I have put light coloured towels soaking wet infront of the hen house and run and have a large brolly for shade. The portable run is put on half earth and grass and the top and side covered with we towels and rattan. ice cubes in the water and a cat littler tray with water in it if they want to cool down. We have some cage fans we used for cat shows to put on the side of the pen (having trouble fixing it at moment`). Is there anything else I can do???????

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Re: At last an egg!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 12:24:39 »
We put a tarpaulin sheet over the run but it's a permanent one. It also keeps the sun off them. They looked very cute yesterday, dust bathing but burying themselves in straw.
Are your girls noisy when they are going to lay. We have 4 bantam Plymouth rocks & they literally like to tell the world. Perhaps if they did it more often they'd be quie about it & just get on with the job ;) ;D.

Bella & Bessy, the Speckeldy's just go & lay & straight out to play again.

Ragdoll Lady

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 12:29:06 »
Abbey is very noisy when she lays she shouts her head off for at least five minutes. Someone asked us if we had a cockeral thats how loud she is. She also shouts at us if we put her back in the run and there isnt a scattering of mealworms for her to forage for. She has definately got us trained!.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 13:37:04 »
Five minutes notice would be good. We get several hours. One of the neighbours thought we had angry chickens, now she laughs because she knows what's coming.

Ragdoll Lady

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 17:11:57 »
Cant quite beleive this but as we were having a really bad thunder storm I went out to check on the hens and Gemima has laid her first egg too. Its very dark brown, but no speckles yet. Cant beleive it, just like a bus you wait all day for one and two come along :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal