Author Topic: Gutted by Garlic!  (Read 7375 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Re: Gutted by Garlic!
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2011, 17:43:31 »
1. No expert, but I say NO to trying to change the soil.

2. As above, but I would play safe & but new garlic. It's just not worth the gamble.

The rot is probably the expensive & widespread enemy of farmers - hence the very long rotation period.

Plenty about it on Google.

Why do you say no to changing the soil? Is the risk of spreadiing the disease around the garden too great? Surely if carefull you can remove the problem soil and most of the risk of another dose of White rot. Onions dont root that deeply after all so not much needed to be removed. My affected bed is a raised one so a self contained area.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2011, 18:41:38 »
Because I do not believe that you can clear ALL the infection. Then it only needs a bit to get going again.

I had faith in Armillatox - applied diligently - exact application -  turn in - another exact application - oh, dear!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 18:45:42 by tim »

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2011, 19:15:35 »
Rotating doesn't really help against white rot..it can stay inactive in soil for 20 yrs..and just waiting onion or garlic to arrive and kick into action again.
Code: [Select]
What causes White Rot? anyone know? How might it have got into the garden?It is fungal disease and can come into your garden via infected soil, plant material...or eventually spreading from neighbouring plots if they have it.
Ru
Code: [Select]
st' on the leaves, anyone suffered this fate before?,  yep..its quite common thingy..but often shows its 'ugly head' when somebody has been bit too liberal with fertilizer and created soft, lush growth that is easily infected by it.. ;)

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2011, 19:59:57 »
Rotation? That's a bit unfair an assessment?

Yes - it can stay in the soil for yonks, but do not the professional growers rely on an 8 year rotation? They are struggling on that & a 20 year plan would be impossible?

One can grow a lot of Garlic in a raised bed & we now have 8. I'm afraid my hygiene was at fault in allowing reinfection.

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2011, 20:56:07 »
Armatillox and Jayes fluid are not licensed for use as a soil sterilising treatment. An alternative organic treatment is detailed here :- http://www.growyourown.info/page173.html
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2011, 06:06:17 »
Armillatox? No, but long used as such, & 'friendly'?

Alternative? Yes - much quoted here, but that's a good resumé.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal