Author Topic: Aubergine pollination  (Read 13935 times)

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
Aubergine pollination
« on: June 25, 2011, 18:08:29 »
I've only grown aubergines once before and that was outside.  This year I have three very healthy plants growing in my conservatory.  So far I've had three flowers that have opened and in due course dropped off with no fruit growing.  My question is how to pollinate indoor aubs? 

Squashman

• Half Acre
Re: Aubergine pollination
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 19:25:27 »
I grow money maker aubergines, usually 50+ plants in a polytunnel and glasshouse, polination has always been good, with plenty of large fruits. I have them on a drip system for watering and feed twice a week. What variety are you growing.

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 23:51:26 »
Black Beauty - seeds from Simpsons Seeds.  Instructions on packet: "Pinch out leader at 12" to encourage laterals.  Trim leaves to expose flowers.  Limit to 5 fruit at a time."  They're just getting to 12" and flowers have not been hidden behind leaves.  Nothing on the packet about pollination.  They've had plenty of water as I'm growing them with my chillies and peppers which I help manually to pollinate with no problems at all so any suggestions gladly received.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 05:05:08 »
Reason for dropping flowers, too warm, not enough water, stress, not pollinated.

Often reason for poor pollination is humidity. The pollen gets sticky and can;t get to where it need to go, they don't need bees by the way the are wind or movement pollinated.

They abort flowers ver easily if under stress.

You can hand pollinate by using a fine hair paintbrush.

They need a good deep drink regularly..not wet though or use drip watering.

Outside they probably got sufficient movement from natural movement.

Anyway above should solve your problem, get back to me if you need more detail
XX Jeannine

« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 05:06:52 by Jeannine »
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 08:27:44 »
Have never pollinated aubergines, peppers etc grown under glass and seem to do okay -sometimes initial flowers don't set but later fine.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 08:47:52 »
Tickle em with a little brush
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 10:18:51 »
Thanks peeps.  Patience I think is the answer ....and a little brush ;D

knottygal

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 00:09:21 »
I am following this thread with interest, never grown aubergines before and have 5 healthy Black Beauty plants growing in my polytunnel, have duly tickled the flowers with a little brush  ;D

A flower on one plant is yellowing, think it hasn't set and will drop off shortly but the plant has more flowers on the way  :)
Can anyone tell me what the yellowing leaf margins indicate - I assume it is a deficiency of some sort - it is only this one plant. I have just started to feed them weekly with tomato food as the flowers appeared, any advice appreciated  8)

« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 00:12:29 by knottygal »

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 08:04:10 »
am also going to follow this thread, particularly as I was going to ask about pollinating in a Ghouse. Thanks for starting and folks for answering

I'll get my tickling brush out then  :D  :P

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 08:12:03 »
A bit soon to feed?

Usually at first fruit set?

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 08:21:24 »
We grow them outside under cloches until about now when the plants are bursting to get out. The cloches are then removed and the plants are then on their own.

Early flowers (we have a few now) invariably come to nothing. It is usually late August or early September before we pick any fruits. The variety that we currently grow is Listada de Gandia which produces a reasonable number of small (up to 10cm) quite attractive fruits.

We dont tickle.

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 10:46:42 »
Second flush of flowers have just fallen off so I've moved them outside to let nature take its course hopefully with more success.  The chillies were crowding them out anyway. Fingers crossed...

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 12:03:47 »
Pride before a fall??

So far, so good. In 50 years, never tickled them, but get good results. Fingers crossed - I'll update as & when.

For good measure, for the first time ever, I've pinched out 2 plants as advised by all the books to see how that affects them.

Spudbash

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2011, 11:45:20 »
You were growing aubergines fifty years ago, Tim?  :o  ;D Not many people were, as I understand it.

I'm growing several varieties this year and so far, I've harvested one small one, a Baby Rosanna. I know this is unusual, but then, I started them early and this is a very unusual year, weather-wise. The rest are taking their time in the usual aubergine way.

:)

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2011, 09:41:18 »
I too am watching this thread with interest.

Its my first year growing Auberines & i have 4 healthy looking plants in greenhouse.

I shall not tickle them and will see how they progress. At the moment they are just starting to produce

flowers which have not opened as yet - one of which has dropped off, but the rest look healthy enough

so not unduly concerned.

What recipes will others be using for their fruits-to-come??   ;)

Debs 

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2011, 14:07:08 »
Yellowing is most likely iron or magnesium deficiency, give ema  bit of rose food and/or epsom salts to work out which .....

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2011, 14:30:23 »
Well, putting them outside seems to have worked.  I now have 3 baby aubergines growing :).  I've brought them in again because I think they'll do better indoors.  Certainly the ones that have been outside all the time are a lot smaller and are not yet flowering.

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2011, 17:49:37 »
The leaves on my plants have a slight yellowness to them - will tomato feed be ok?

Also, the tiny fruits seem to be shrivelling & dropping off :-\

What am I doing wrong??

They are growing in the greenhouse. . .

Debs

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2011, 00:46:12 »
You were growing aubergines fifty years ago, Tim?  :o  ;D Not many people were, as I understand it.

Many years ago I was surprised to find sections on aubergines in a couple of (otherwise) fairly ordinary books from the 1930s - even though at the time I read them (in the late 70s/early 80s) they were just being discussed as a 'new' enthusiasm among growers.

I suspect like many gourmet foods they were killed off by rationing during WWII - or rather squeezed out of the 'dig for victory' initiative by more reliable and productive veg.

It has to be said that in most years they don't justify the effort - that's why I grow varieties that look good in pots or beds where I'd otherwise be growing useless inedible ornamental flowers -  and occasionally I get a bonus of fruit!

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

knottygal

• Not So New ...
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2011, 00:48:32 »
Still not got a flipping single one set ???, lost one plant but the remaining four are lush and look super healthy and I have chillies, cukes, toms and bell peppers coming out of my ears ;D but alas no lil aubergine babies... :'(

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal