Author Topic: Fruit and Veg That Rabbits and Deer Don't Like?  (Read 3535 times)

rusticalex

Fruit and Veg That Rabbits and Deer Don't Like?
« on: July 16, 2011, 21:13:21 »
Hi All

We're taking on another half plot down at our allotment, and really don't want to have to fence it in (it has certainly been necessary to fence in our main plot!!).  Hence we are thinking about putting in plants on this half plot that will not be attacked by rabbits and deer.  Are onions and garlic safe?  How about potatoes?  I'd also like to put in a couple of small fruit trees, such as plum, pear and cherry, which I guess I'd need to protect.

Any suggestions as to fruit and/or veg that will be rabbit/deer proof welcome!

Thanks
Alex

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Fruit and Veg That Rabbits and Deer Don't Like?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 09:01:05 »
Hi, rusticalex, welcome to a4a  ;D
when we put our small fruit trees, we put a chicken wire wrap around the bottom. Our problem was next doors cat using them as a scratching post, not deer but I suppose that might help, not sure of the veggie question though  :)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 09:19:08 »
Yes..with rabbits and deer..fruit trees will need protection..but usually only the main stem...so trees are not bad idea at all..
All oniony plants are said to repel rabits..so interplanting something in between on rows of them could work..you might need to be 'not so tidy and regimental' with your planting and up keep..if you let things grow bit more freely some of the edibles have chance to survive when not in clear display long straight rows..like food highway..
But other than that..for both pest..rest of the plant world is perfectly edible.. ::) To succeed you will need to use protective cages etc..maybe something simple like bent chicken wire dome around your crop is just enough to keep them away...
You could try trapping some rabbits and supplement your diet with nice meat as well and reduce their numbers...win win situation. Can't do that with deer though.... :-\

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 11:04:33 »
I asked a similar question last year and got a similar answer. The only thing that survived the rabbits on my plot was parsnips, though they'd even nibbled the tops of those where they were showing above ground. I've put off netting the whole plot as it would be very difficult to do, but think I'm going to wire-net my leeks this year as it was the first time they'd been got, and not bother growing anything else over winter.

rusticalex

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 15:19:04 »
Thanks for the helpful responses.  Any further thoughts on potatoes - surely they're not typical rabbit fodder?
Thanks
Alex

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 15:53:39 »
On my plot (so far!) the rabbits are only a problem in the winter, when they haven't got other sources of food, so your spuds wil probably be out of the ground by then unless you are growing a second crop for Christmas.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 17:00:38 »
The one time we had a rabbit which survived for a while it had all my parsnips.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 17:48:44 »
The one time we had a rabbit which survived for a while it had all my parsnips.

Thanks a lot, Robert  ::)

darkbrowneggs

• Half Acre
    • Dark Brown Eggs
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 18:23:59 »
All oniony plants are said to repel rabits..:-\

Before I rabbit netted entirely round my garden they ate everything!!!  Including the onions.  The only thing they seemed to leave was broad beans but the pheasants and mice finished those off.  In fact Iabandoned the garden for 3 years while I steeled myself to pay for the wire

I went for the 45" high stuff, and buried in the ground at right angles for about 9"-12".  Big mistake - just after it was finished there was a rabbit inside the veg garden.  I came walking down with the dog and was convinced we had it trapped.  It casually turned round and climbed the netting.  I had to go round the top with another 24 " strip

Now it is finished (about 5 years ago) but lately there are no rabbits in the vicinity at all.  S!*?'s Law I fear.   ::)

all the best
Sue
I love my traditional English Cuckoo Marans and their lovely big brown eggs

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal