Author Topic: Asparagus Bed  (Read 6671 times)

betula

• Hectare
Asparagus Bed
« on: June 23, 2011, 22:10:59 »
On my new Allotment I have decided I want to have an Asparagus bed.

I know I will not have a short term crop but it is something I often thought about in the past but never got around to doing.

I know you have to drape them over a mound but I am pretty clueless on what to do to get a healthy crop really.

Step by step advice would be most welcome.

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Asparagus Bed
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 22:45:23 »
Would that be in the ground level..or raised bed?
Not that it makes huge difference but the ground preparation is more forgiving in raised bed.
I'll have a sleep overnight first..and I'll get back to this once I know more about your plan.. ;)..unless others fill you in first..
Nighty night..

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 23:28:48 »
Well I had hoped a flat bed.........but if you think a raised bed better I could do that.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 06:31:55 »
Morning..my brain is back on function..I hope..slept and all that.. ;D
Ok..raised bed is not better as such, but as good drainage is important with asparagus, with raised bed that comes naturally without needing to add lot of grit and/or sand into soil. But if your soil is already on sandy side then creating raised bed is more work..
What is your soil like?  I realise you haven't had much chance to work in your NEW lottie yet..but first impressions?
We'll have to plan this slow...well thought job is job half done and there is no regrets and need to return for corrections.. ;)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 07:33:57 »
My advice it to have a look at the weeds on the plot and the plants/weeds in the hedgerows.  These will give you a good indication of the soil types.   

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 08:16:39 »
Did you not say that the soil is sandy? If so I would add dome manure/ other organic stuff first. That, in itself should raise the level. As Goodlife says - drainage is really important. Also asparagus will be there for a long time so it's worth putting in the effort to get the soil right. Shame I'm not nearer - I've got some seedling asparagus coming up  to replace the ones that got hammered last winter.Guelph Millennium.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 09:01:35 »
Thanks Goodlife  and all,well yes the soil is a sandy loam and I predict the biggest problem on there will be grass but I will look around more carefully at the weed situation.Also quite an exposed plot so will have to think about some wind barriers.

I will pick a spot and start to prepare the soil.I want loads of the little darlings so how many shall I put in when the great moment arrives............I am rushing it here  LOL

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 19:49:23 »
I've tried twice and falied both times, due to winter waterlogging. I'm thinking of trying again with a raised bed, but unless you've got drainage problems or a bad back, it's just a load of unnecessary work.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 20:32:10 »
Sandy loam..perfect.. ;D
Step 1. How big is the bed..so we know how many plants.
Step 2. Grow something else on that bed during summer and keep it really well weeded. Green manure would be ideal..then you can improve the soil same time and add goodness in. Weeding perennial weeds out of asparagus bed is nightmare..so preparation, preparation.
Step3. Start looking what variety(s) you would like...and source the supplier..
How's that to start with..? ;D ;)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 21:08:42 »
If you are planting crowns there are some you can plant in the autumn or if you prefer you can plant in the spring (probably safer).

If you are prepared to wait an xtra year you can sow seed.

queenbee

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2011, 21:10:24 »
grawac

You mentioned that you had seedlings from your asparagus, I have been pulling them up as they have seeded themselves quite profusely. I was led to understand that these were no good. How long before these seedling become viable. I will treat them with more respect in future.
Hi I'm from Heywood, Lancashire

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2011, 21:34:55 »
Good life..........how big do you think the bed should be........?

I think I would prefer crowns.

So weed free and plenty of muck ??

Good drainage important.

Thanks Anne, and Robert think you should try again.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2011, 21:40:31 »
Queenbee I have seedlings that I have grown from a packet of seed. I believe (I know nothing) that all male asparagus is said to produce better spears and it is therefore advisable to remove the female (berry producing) plants. If you have seedlings, however, I see no reason why you can't grow them on. It will be a year longer till cropping than if you plant crowns, i.e. 3 years from crowns, 4 years from seed.

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2011, 22:23:16 »
Good thread this. I have had a large bed for some 20 years & it was getting tired (plus a knock back from aminopyralid contaminated manure).
I bought 10 new 1 year old organic plants/trenched/(uncontamined) mucked/laid on a domed layer of compost & filled in & watered in. The ground was in a different area to the original & had been well rotovated beforehand.
After weeks went by the plants died off & I'm left with only 5 which are growing strongly.
Betula, the only reason I can give for the loss is not planting shallow to start with & gradually filling the trench as the plants progressed. Additional comments would be welcome.
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2011, 08:19:10 »
Telboy........meant to reply to you sooner.......when you say plant shallow....how shallow?

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2011, 09:01:48 »
I think the muck in the trench would cause problems with crowns..it holds too much moisture and it standing against roots can rot the crown..particularly when the crowns are just trying to establish.
It is always better use manure as mulch on top..
Betula..as your soil is quite free draining..for planting advise..I would make trench with domed bottom and lay the crowns on top the dome, so that the actual roots are sloping downwards from the growing points. Mix some compost and bit BFB meal on top soil that your use for filling up the trench and fill up so that you've got 2-3" covering..if you have too much soil left..leave it to side and once your crowns have started growing you can then add some more on..
That should do in first year..once your plants are established..you can then mulch with much/compost with BFB..ideally late winter/early spring. That will keep some moist down in the soil without damageing the roots and and provide enough feed for strong growth later on...and you only need to do this once a year.
Asparagus do like moisture but it doesn't like wet things agaist its 'bits'.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2011, 09:09:00 »
Oh..and..
Unless your soil is dry when planting..don't water (much) as there should be enough moisture in soil to encourage the growth into action. As the crowns are in dormant stage..they don't take much water at all...and if there should be rain that will provide enough.
Once the first growth comes through..if the soil is on dry side..then give good dollop of water.
Like Telboy experienced..it is getting the crowns to grow after planting that is bit fiddly..but once you get them over that bit..its doddle..they more and less look after themselves...other than weeding,,,and weeding... ::) ;D

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2011, 16:13:27 »
I grew mine from seed, 99p packet from ebay. THey'bve been fairly msitreated since then, in pots, not watered enough.... ridiculous numbers survived, I've given tons away and planted 20 for myself.... My soil is pretty gritty though overlying clay so I've built the bed upa bit with soil from areas where I was taking it out.... One thing about growing from seed in pots, it's a cheap way to get the bed.... I could have had three times as many (ie 60 plants) from that packet.... apart from normal seed compost mixed with a bit of sand to start they've bene in my local dirt mixed with a bit of MPC.... I doubt the whole lot owes me 5 quid.... I fyou want a big bed then be prepared to wait the extra year and do it from seed, you'll save a fortune....

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2011, 16:20:04 »
yes..I did sow some from seed as well..I never realised how easy they are.. ::) And yes..I did give lots away too..
For some reason I thought they would be tricky to germinate..and I sowed plenty to 'give myself a chance' for enough plants... ::)..little did I know.. :-X ;D And they grow quite quickly too..

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2011, 22:26:26 »
betula,
back to your original point, I planted with the growing points showing but a few of the points were broken as they are rather frail!
Hence perhaps the chances of the plants being too deep to survive?
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal