Author Topic: T&M seeds tested for the E coli outbreak in Germany  (Read 2888 times)

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
Re: T&M seeds tested for the E coli outbreak in Germany
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 21:20:15 »
They originally blamed stuff on cucumbers and did so much damage to producers ,it must be a difficult time for anyone involved in this least of all the poor sufferers  :(
sanity is overated

plainleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 21:35:37 »
guess this like my gram used to say fresh uncooked food can make you sick.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 21:36:00 »
oh eck, I have loads of those..mind you they are 3 years old, ready for the bin I think
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 21:45:41 »
actually this is a new outbreak in France and not the German one

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 21:53:06 »
I think I will use all mine as green manure nad grow them for a bit, then turn them under
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

bazzysbarn

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 23:23:18 »
If you read the statement, at the bottom of the page it says that the french authorities say there is no definitive link between the seeds and the outbreak!
So what are they going on about then?

lavenderlux

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 17:35:36 »
The way that 'sprouted seeds' are grown is that you put them in a container and soak the seeds overnight in water, drain off the water, cover the container and then at least twice a day onwards you add water to the seeds and rinse well and drain off, for several days until the seeds are well sprouted - so if there is a problem, I feel that its likely to be in the water supply used rather than in the seeds.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 17:53:44 »
oh eck, I have loads of those..mind you they are 3 years old, ready for the bin I think

yep same here unless anyone wants them?

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 18:20:24 »
So with T & M sprouting seeds spread across Europe, how come only the one function had this problem if it's down to the seeds? No chance it's one chef, server, grower then?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2011, 18:59:47 »
I bet the problem's in the sprouting.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2011, 19:08:29 »
Cambourne & Jeannine I've used out of date sprouted seeds & am here to tell the tale. They tasted just fine too. Could you sprout them & compost them if you don't want to eat them. Just a thought.

mat

• Hectare
  • Ryedale, North Yorks. Sandy loam, over sandstone
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2011, 19:37:03 »
I very much doubt the SEEDS are the source of this FRENCH outbreak. 

E-Coli is normally caused by people,  (i.e. from a person responsible for growing the sprouting seeds.) as E-Coli is transmitted from faecal (sorry!) material through to the food or water supply - i.e. by people not washing their hands, then touching the growing plants.  Plants will have been grown in a warm environment so the bacteria multiply.

I'd be very surprised if during the seed collection, processing, and packing, E-Coli would get onto the seeds, then remain viable to multiply some months later, as they only have a short lifespan outside a human body (or other suitable environment.) 

I'd be even more surprised, as this outbreak is only in France, and the seeds will have been distributed across many countries.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2011, 16:47:34 »
Actually, I tend to agree that the seeds are probably safe. It is probably a poor sprouting method. It is easy to contaminate them when sprouting, lots od problems with it.I have known several salmonella alerts from sprouted stuff but not e coli before.

I am pretty picky when I sprout and take a great deal of care so trust me.

XX Jeannine

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2011, 19:19:31 »
I suppose that T&M source their actual seeds from all over the place it presume that they could be contaminated but it does seem odd that there is only one outbreak of it.  Presume their seeds go all over the place.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2011, 19:31:33 »
I am still eating the stuff I have grown from T&M seed and will continue sowing my remaining seeds from T&M.  Ain't worried in the slightest.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2011, 19:33:28 »
There is a video clip on the BBC about it where they do mention that 'The seeds were germinated by the parents of the children', I think that is asking for trouble.
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal